Boot Folder Problem

Rayza

I'm trying to create the boot folders (the Flyakite way) for the various O/S's and seem to have a problem with XP. I'm using a non service packed version of Win2K in VM. When runing the XP cd it asks me for my serial key. When entering it it says it's invalid. Now i know the first thing anyone is going to say is "Pirated ..... blah blah" but i can assure you its genuine 'cos i'm holding my hologramed CD in one hand and the Licence in the other. I've managed to get win2k3 to work the same way, so i dont think it's VM. Anyone had the same problem?

What happens if you try to install from the hologrammed CD in VM with that serial?

If you still get an "invalid" message, you've got a problem. Just guessing, but you're probably trying to use a serial which doesn't match your CD version. For example, using a retail serial on a volume license disc installation. It's possible that other differences will prevent installation as well (MSDN key with retail CD, EnglishUS key with Korean CD, etc.).

I should have mentioned that it was a Corp Ed of XP, dont suppose that makes any difference?? I tried using the original CD instead of my unattended version and got the same result :} Got a normal version on the way, so will try that and see what happens.... Thanx for the reply

How did you get your key?

Did you buy a retail version of XP, did you get one when buying your computer? or did you get one from a volume license agreement (corprate version)?

If you have a sitcker, then you most likely have an OEM Key that will require an OEM CD.

All the infor for key verification is stored in setupp.ini under the 1386 directory on the CD. Search google for setupp.ini and you should find the right combinations to use for the key type you have.

I've checked the setupp.ini file and the key is a volume licence. I've made an unattended version of the same cd without any problems, so i know the key works, it's just when i need to create the boot folders via win2k.

Not to ask the obvious but, why would you try to make this project in virtual pc running a non sp version of 2k? :puke: Talk about making it hard on yourself!

It matters very little if the setupp.ini is changed for without valid corp files, you will always run into probs. with keys & activation at some point. Setupp.ini lost it's magic after Win2k.

If your key and xp corp build are genuine, make sure not to d/l updated setup files and make sure you are not trying to run an upgrade instead of a clean install.

If you are set on doing this in a virtual pc and your unattended is a full build of XP (hopefully not altered past a basic winnt.sif file), make a new virtual machine w/ a new virtual HD. Begin to install your unattended XP distro. When setup finishes copying files and asks to reboot, shut down the machine and mount the disk as a secondary HD on your virtual win2k machine and then copy the files.

@ LiquidSage

The reason i'm using a non sp version of 2k was to make sure that when i try and create the boot folders of any o/s = to or higher than win2k, i dont get the warning "your version is newer than the one you're trying to install blah blah". It's also to avoid interfereing with my current setup. It's easier to re-install a virtual pc.

My o/s i'm running now is the same one i'm having problems with creating the boot folder. I do ensure that its a full install and that the d/load etc is not checked. I do like your idea about mounting the virtual drive, going to give that a try today.

Thanks for the ideas.

Depending on the version of the OS CD you are using you may have to edit your setupp.ini and change the last 3 digits to 270.

there are 4 files that are directly affected by changes in setupp.ini for winxp and I'm pretty sure the specifics of such files will not be of suitable discussion on this board.

270 will work for win2k but has little relevance for xp unless you have the proper file set to match the pid change.

Rayza.... if you go to a more stable win2k SP3 or Sp4 build, you will not run into any more prompt problems than you would normally on win2k. From what your concern is, I must again urge you to check that you are not trying to invoke an upgrade instead of a new install. More than likely your XP has different keys for New and Upgrade installs. This is not uncommon. Plus, keep in mind that 'gosh's method' applies to new installs.