ITS been 7 years why aren,t you running XP?

tim_horton

Why do i still run it? because my old p1 133mhz can in no way run xp thats why. the pc works fine, and i don't have the heart to throw it away. I'm a bit of a packrat, if it still works i'll find some use for it.

I boot 98se when I want to play my old games like TIE Fighter. Also like Tim, I install it for people on P-II and slower machines where XP would not run to it's potential.

after 7 years why arent u using xp?i want to know why u still use 98se

Why do you say 7 years? 98 SE is in fact only 5 years old. Also, in my 98 SE installation, not all of my OS files are 5 years old - some are quite recent (e.g. from Windows 2003 SP1).

Anyway, I use both 98 SE and XP frequently. I strongly prefer 98 SE due to the following reasons:

1. I reject the humiliation and degradation of having to get permission to use software that's already been paid for, every time I change my hardware.

2. XP is quite expensive. I actually bought an OEM XP SP2 disk a while ago (I think it was $260) but I changed my mind and decided to keep the money - I simply returned it for a refund. 98 SE can be had on ebay for much cheaper.

3. I like my OS to be small and efficient.

4. I like my OS to be resistant to bugs, viruses, worms, hackers, etc.

5. I don't need any of the features that XP offers over 98 SE.

6. I like the hardware and software compatability advantages of 98 SE over XP SP 2.

1. I reject the humiliation and degradation of having to get permission to use software that's already been paid for, every time I change my hardware.
The EULA of Windows 98SE does not give you ownership either. It simply only gives you the rights to USE the software. You still don't own it.
2. I like my OS to be small and efficient.
With the size of drives today, who cares? As long as it does what you need it to...
3. I like my OS to be resistant to bugs, viruses, worms, hackers, etc.
You're delusional if you believe that you are resistant to these because you use Windows 98SE.
4. I don't need any of the features that XP offers over 98 SE.
That may be the case. That's one of the most intelligent things I have heard you say azagahl, that wasn't a lie.
5. I like the hardware and software compatability advantages of 98 SE over XP SP 2.
You couldn't be more incorrect on this one. Name a piece of software or a piece of hardware that isn't compatable with Windows XP SP2. :)
This whole thread is based on a lie. 98 SE is in fact only 5 years old.
You are so wrapped up in protecting your precious Windows 98SE that you can't even see that this is a mockery of the thread I started. Besides, Windows 98SE is simply a "service pack" to Windows 98 IMO.

The EULA of Windows 98SE does not give you ownership either. It simply only gives you the rights to USE the software. You still don't own it.

Exactly, I like having the right to use software that I buy.

Also, you cannot really equate an EULA with activation. I think reading an EULA is much less of a hassle then making a 15-minute phone call everytime I change hardware.

I like my OS to be resistant to bugs, viruses, worms, hackers, etc.

You're delusional if you believe that you are resistant to these because you use Windows 98SE.

An unpatched 98 SE machine will last far, FAR longer on the internet than an unpatched XP machine.

You're delusional...

That's one of the most intelligent things I have heard you say azagahl, that wasn't a lie.

I knew it wouldn't take long for the "moderator" to appear and start posting personal attacks.

Name a piece of software or a piece of hardware that isn't compatable with Windows XP SP2.

Easy enough: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878478

FYI the suggested "Resolution" isn't really adequate.