Version 3.5.1 Discussion

Hello. I don't know if this is the right place where post a feature suggestion however here it is.

It often happens that some applications don't work/install under certain windows versions (for example some may install on windows xp and may not install on windows 2003).

What about adding a special dependancy expression to require a certain windows version?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my crappy english :P

Btw great work :P

Great idea to add into the config section like a drop box that you can select windows versions with??

With an all option also right??

Hasi001 would half to do this one unless someone else out there that is more familiar with java script can help me to do this.

If some one can help please post here or pm me.

• 2 weeks later...

i got a strange bug.just downloaded,extracted then run wpi.hta.it said"a error occur on this page line 160 char 24.....".clicked 'yes' into main page.but "installaion" button missed text,other buttons were all the same.still there is something wrong.it said"JavaScript Error Report Main.js line 126 ttSource not defined Url........"it wound repeat again and again......

how to fix this problem?v3.3 is ok

Hello. I don't know if this is the right place where post a feature suggestion however here it is.

It often happens that some applications don't work/install under certain windows versions (for example some may install on windows xp and may not install on windows 2003).

What about adding a special dependancy expression to require a certain windows version?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my crappy english :P

Btw great work :P

Great idea to add into the config section like a drop box that you can select windows versions with??

With an all option also right??

Hasi001 would half to do this one unless someone else out there that is more familiar with java script can help me to do this.

If some one can help please post here or pm me.

This feature has been availible awhile. See this post by hasi001...

cond[pn]=['getOSver()=="XP"') will only show the program if OS = Windows XP.

To ckeck for operation system one could use

cond[pn]=['getOSver()=="XP"') .. the include on XP

or

cond[pn]=['getOSver()!="NT"') .. the exclude only on NT

getOSver returns the following strings: XP, 2K, NT, ME, 98, 95 or "Not found"

actually I don't know when it was changed but xp reads as wxp and windows 2000 reads as w2k LOL crazy huh.

I have already changed that back to "XP" and "2K" for the next release.

Also as of 3.5.1 I added in the os of windows 2003 it reads as "2003"

• 3 weeks later...

Any thoughts on making it easier to select a UNC network share as the install point for app?? I've tried setting it up for this. As long as I manually edit the config.js and place \\\\\\ in front of the server name, it works. If I got back into WPI and attempt to save a new program install, all the previous installations fail and show where they were trying to run from \servername\share\appfolder\app.exe. Aside from this little problem, this **** proggie rocks!! Thanks for all the hard work on it. You have made my life easier for certain!

Hey there.

I have a problem with working directories.

When an installer uses other files than it's own .exe, called by WPI, some .exe installers can't recognize the directory they are on.

.msi files seem to work ok, because when you call "d:\wpi\thisinstaller\something.msi", you're telling "msiexec" to call that .msi file from that location, and "msiexec" tells the system that the working dir for "something.msi" is the directory where it is located.

WPI doesn't seem to do this.

Example for simply see the problem happening:

OBJECTIVE: Run "cmd1.cmd" from WPI. "cmd1.cmd" will fail to call "cmd2.cmd" because the working dir is undefined or incorrectly defined.

- create "cmd1.cmd" and "cmd2.cmd" within the "Install" directory, for example;

- edit "cmd1.cmd" and add just the following line:

cmd2.cmd

- create a new installation in WPI Config, and the only thing to do is run "%CDROM%\Install\cmd1.cmd";

Select that installation in WPI and Begin Install. The error occurs as predicted.

Any solution? :huh:

i want to share you this :

if progB is dependent by something like

cond[pn]=['getOSver()==XP]
and progA exclude progB

IF condition is false (OS=2003, for ex.) so progB is not show up , is in fact hidden

then you get an error . probably progA have not what to be excluded !?

at least in WPI 3.5.0 .

i still dont use yet 3.5.1 because the getOSver dont work there !

not with XP or wxp or WXP

and i use it a lot.

i am a big fun of this program . so , i can help testing it ...

another thing about WPI 3.5.0 .

i use a lot fileexist and getOSver for my programs and i use no column break in categories set to yes .

if i have a group A with 10 programs , and the next group B is sent to next column or next page , then , if i hide by my boolean 9 programs from the first group A, so group A will have only one listed program , then the second group B is also sent to the next column or page , and i have a column with a single program in group A.

it seems like always are counted all program to appear , not counted just the programs who must appear conform boolean .

Edited by oneless

About the JavaScript errors that myself and others are getting. Namely the one, 'Unterminated String Constant', line 160 or 55, I have found a solution for it. :o

It is Internet Explorer's encoding setting. View > Encoding must have AutoSelect! If that was unchecked I got the JavaScript error (and the white menu text disappearing). I don't know what the specific error was on line 160 (or 55) but the AutoSelect solved it, for me. :) I can reproduce this error and I downloaded 3.5.1.rar several times incase it was corrupted. Never was.

For unattended installs I don't see how this would be much of a problem as is since IE has AutoSelect checked by default, right? But if you run WPI as is after the OS is installed or through autorun.inf then this may be a problem.

I also thought a meta tag containing the content type and charset in WPI.hta would specify the encoding of the file and there would be no need for AutoSelect. I was right! :o I put <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"> into the head of WPI.hta and tada! No more Unterminated String Constant JS errors for me. :D

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>
<title>Windows Post-Install Wizard</title>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="MSThemeCompatible" CONTENT="YES">
<HTA:APPLICATION
ID="oApp"
APPLICATIONNAME="wpi"
ICON="./wpi.ico"
CAPTION="yes"

• 3 weeks later...

WPI comes pre-configured with over 50 apps that should be enough of an example...

For app switches use the universal silent switch finder included in WPI 3.6 and higher (You can find instructions for it in the user manual included in WPI also [in the tools section])

And isn't that 2 qeustions?

Edited by kelsenellenelvian