power supply help

amoss24

I have just upgraded to pci express and got a new power supply, processor memory etc.

When my comupter is up and running everything seems ok but when i shut down i get this high pitch noise comming from the power supply ( coolmaster 450W RS-450-ACLY ). its anoying as hell.

Has anyone else got this trouble or heard of it.

Check the fans and the grills for obstructions or misalignment. Fans spin fast during normal operation and tend to rotate smoothly. However, much like a spinning top that is losing speed, the wobble becomes quite evident at the end.

Regardless, since it is new, I would go get an exchange. A PSU (esp. new ones) should not whine and I'm sure that is not what you paid for nor is it what they advertise on the box.

What kind of noise is it? High pitch, that makes me think speaker maybe if you have a built in speaker to the mobo. Does the noise happen if you just let the PS run idle, like not in an OS or anything. For example in the bios or something. Regardless I agree with amoss24, if you just bought it and your 100% sure it’s coming from the PS and chances are its defective you should get a new one. Last thing you want is your PSU short circuiting your mobo or worse. I remember at work when one of our APC units blew. All these loud popping noises, smoke everywhere. Somehow all my servers were ok but the UPS was gone. Better of exchanging it now and not having to worry about it later on.