2003 Server SP1 PROBLEM

Hello All,

I just stumbled upon this forum and in looking around there is a wealth of knowledge here!

I installed SP1 on 2003 Enterprise Server and it indicated "success" The Security Configuration Wizard did not install in "Add Windows Components". I now know that my existing firewall (which was running during the install) prevented this and some configurations. (Why no warning from MS to disable if running?) The help file did install. I've been to the MS newsgroups and was told to go to "Add Windows Components" and install from there. They missed the point, again, it's not a listed component to install!

I have found the SCW cab in the service pack, but, does anyone have a clue if I could get this added manually? I poked around the cab, found several inf files but no setup or install files specific for scw.

Thanks in advance to greater minds than mine!

Jim

Hello there,

From what you said, it look like you have installed SP1 on top of the existing OS.

Normally that doesn't work out too well. The best thing is to slip-stream the SP into the main CD, and then install from it. I had no SCW problems this way....

Hello there,

From what you said, it look like you have installed SP1 on top of the existing OS.

Normally that doesn't work out too well. The best thing is to slip-stream the SP into the main CD, and then install from it. I had no SCW problems this way....

You MUST be kidding me!!!!! Why wouldn't this work well? From what you say is that one should slipstream SP and reinstall all the servers once service pack is out!? LOL, if this is what you mean then this is definatelly not the way to do it! :)

I agree with the slipstream method for workstations - as a reinstallation of the OS is preferable, however @klasika is completely right - it would be *crazy* to even consider reinstallation of a server's OS whenever a service pack was released.

Fine if the server is new and you CAN reinstall the OS (RAID drivers etc considered!)

But in the real world you'd expect that service packing Server OS would be a cumulative task - ie existing, then SP1, SP2 etc. as I have for many of my oldest and reliable Windows 2000 Servers who all began service as humble SP1 or Gold versions.

However - whenever installing a cumulative SP I would always recommend to my peers to:

1. disable any anti virus and anti spyware apps that may be running

2. disable any software firewalls (why install these in the 1st place??!) Stick to a hardware firewall or even better set up zones within your network between hardware firewalls to protect against both internet (outside) and client (internal) compromises.

3. Install the Service Pack - always keep the uninstall/previous versions if offered (I note that 2003 SP1 you have no option - but you do for Windows 2000 SP4)

4. Test everything is OK - event logs etc

5. Roll out the update to the other servers, if applicable

just my penny's worth based on my experience ;)

Just a quick suggestion to andrewpayne's post.

Step 2.5

Use the ntbackup.exe utility to run a quick system state backup of the server you are installing to first. Will help you recover if the uninstall of the SP does not work completely.

Roman if I were you, I wouldn't dare to diable onboard LAN controller on the production server within AD, particulary server that holds FSMO roles ... 

Why - did you do that? if so what happened???? im curious as to the way you wrote your post

Roman if I were you, I wouldn't dare to diable onboard LAN controller on the production server within AD, particulary server that holds FSMO roles ... 

Why - did you do that? if so what happened???? im curious as to the way you wrote your post

no, I didn't but AD and other AD related services such as DNS, DHCP, IIS ... are VERY dependant on IP addresses and network cards ...

Hello again,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all of the advise and perspectives to my problem.

I will enjoy my Saturday by backing up, uninstalling SP1 and reinstalling SP1 and pray to the computer gods that all goes smoothly.

What I do not understand is why MS did not include a separate setup for SCW since it is a new and important feature. Oh well, I'm not on Bill's payroll so what do I know, I'm just an end user!

Thanks again!

Jim :thumbup