Win2k3 SP1 to workstation guide?

Hi,

since I heard that in sp1, microsoft is tighten the default system configuration and so on, has anyone successfully convert the sp1 into a workstation? Is it the same just like win2k3 without sp1? Or is there any news whether the msfn tutorial will be updated that will include sp1?

sorry for my bad english.

thank you.

It's basically the same. I haven't encountered any problem upgrading my Win2k3-as-workstation to SP1. The only thing is to install the new patched uxtheme.dll if you're using non-MS themes, because the old one won't work. See the recent thread about this.

I have noticed a small weirdness, as I said in my other thread, where Win2k3 SP1 reports less physical memory than before. Granted it's not by much, but still: I want to know what's the rationale behind this. Maybe it's used for some security feature? Can anyone using Win XP SP2 take a look to see if they have the same physical memory "issue"?

Something else: for "Windows Update" to work on Win2k3 SP1, you *need* to enable the "Automatic Updates" service and the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service". If they are not started, the new Windows Update site will warn you it needs them. Even if you don't use automatic updating. That doesn't pose any problem apart from taking up a little more memory. You can still disable Automatic Updates in the corresponding control panel - but the service must be active.

Does anyone know how to uninstall Remote Administration Tools which are installed by default on a slipstreamed Server 2003 Web installation?

When I try to uninstall I get nearly complete uninstallation prgress and then an error message: "Fatal error during installation"... The system log shows virtually the same message with no more helpful information...

:}

Hello MerlinTheWizard.

You talking about the new patched uxtheme.dll for W2k3 SP1. You said it can be found in recent thread about it. but I've search the web without success for it.

Can you post a link to it ?

Thanks,

Tyrell66

One thing that may not work for some Server 2003 SP1 users with AMD 64 processors is Cool'n'Quiet™ CPU throttling. Previous to SP1 you needed to set your power management settings to the default "Minimal Power Management" profile to get Cool'n'Quiet™ to work with some AMD 64 processors; now this profile is no longer available since I slipstreamed SP1 on Server 2003 and Cool'n'Quiet™ doesn't work.

Does anyone have a non slipstreamed or as yet not updated installation of Server 2003 that can look at the "Minimal Power Management" profile and post the exact settings here?

if you still need it:

Minimal Power Management:

Monitors: Turn off at 15min

Hard disk: Never

System standby: Never

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Does anyone have a non slipstreamed or as yet not updated installation of Server 2003 that can look at the "Minimal Power Management" profile and post the exact settings here?