Foolishly deleted some IE5 files

jotho

Hello all...

Sadly, I am a PC newbie who thought after upgrading to IE 6.0 he could just delete any old IE files. Yes, I am embarassed. A couple of questions:

1) I deleted a bunch of files marked Temporary Internet Files/Content IE5. My recycle bin now has ten items, one of which is index.dat, one marked desktop, and eight folders with names like 69uboluv and shi7klmb. When i go to TOOLS/internet options/general/delete files I end up with only 2-3 folders and the index.dat file left in the recycle bin. I am supposing these are needed system files (although marked IE5) so, how can I get the bunch of them back to where they should be?...they seem immovable from the recycle bin.

2) In the c/program files/uninstall information there are a bunch of IE4 folders. Are all these IE folders (aside from the IE6.0 I am now using) completely necessary? Is there any way of finding which folders and files, if any, can be safely deleted? I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of unnecessary crap on my PC.

3) After running Internet Explorer repair tool I checked System Information and it said system resources 83% free. A bit later, with no other apps going, it goes down to 72%, and later into the mid sixties. Is it normal for this to happen even when not running a bunch of stuff (other than the anti-virus and zone alarm)? Is this what is called 'leaking resources'?

I am using W98SE.

Thanks in advance for any and all info you can provide to this fairly clueless guy.

Jotho

For items in a recycle bin, use Windows Explorer, go to recycle bin and right click the items and select restore. That will place the files back where they are.

But I find it odd you could delete the index.dat file. Normally that file can not be deleted unless it is forced, normally through a program that will delete it in a dos mode, reboot your pc, etc...

but if they are all temporary files, it won't matter....don't worry about them...they are JUST temporary internet files...so if you browse to a site again that uses the files, you will have new files/directories in the temp internet folders...

I clean my internet files all the time - it's agood thing!

2. you should be able to kill any ie4 folders (caveat - I am not responsible for the state of your pc at any time!).

3. Resources drop/increase based on many variables but it is perfectly normal for the values you note...my pc at work drops into the teens on occasion...if you open proggies and never close them but keep opening proggies, then yes, you may get too low on resources....but otherwise don't worry.

If you found this site as a resource, do the same for 98SE resources by doing a google...you will find tons of info on resource usage, how to help improve it, understand it, etc..

You could of course use a proper browser like firefox

Don't understand this nit comment...Firefox has it's own troubles and why tell a newbie to use it if he/she doesn't even understand temp internet files?

It also has nothing todo with his questions regarding deleting files, etc..

You could of course use a proper browser like firefox

Don't understand this nit comment...Firefox has it's own troubles and why tell a newbie to use it if he/she doesn't even understand temp internet files?

Ok sorry your right. I just meant it as a last resort.

If Jotho doesn't have any luck with fixing IE, then firefox would be a way to at least get the internet working on his PC.

My "proper browser" statement was intended as a pun. I use IE6 myself.

1) I deleted a bunch of files marked Temporary Internet Files/Content IE5. My recycle bin now has ten items, one of which is index.dat, one marked desktop, and eight folders with names like 69uboluv and shi7klmb. When i go to TOOLS/internet options/general/delete files I end up with only 2-3 folders and the index.dat file left in the recycle bin. I am supposing these are needed system files (although marked IE5) so, how can I get the bunch of them back to where they should be?...they seem immovable from the recycle bin.
Those files can be deleted from the recycle bin after you restart windows. They are safe to delete. index.dat will be recreated automatically by IE.
2) In the c/program files/uninstall information there are a bunch of IE4 folders. Are all these IE folders (aside from the IE6.0 I am now using) completely necessary? Is there any way of finding which folders and files, if any, can be safely deleted? I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of unnecessary crap on my PC.

I would keep those ones as they contain uninstall information. I am not 100% sure they are necessary though.

3) After running Internet Explorer repair tool I checked System Information and it said system resources 83% free. A bit later, with no other apps going, it goes down to 72%, and later into the mid sixties. Is it normal for this to happen even when not running a bunch of stuff (other than the anti-virus and zone alarm)? Is this what is called 'leaking resources'?

Apparently yes but it should not go below a certain level if you use only Internet Explorer. What happens is that all resources for IE aren't loaded by Windows at startup but only after runing IE for the first time and won't entirely free when exiting because most of the windows dlls needed by IE (tapi32.dll for example) remain loaded (even you choose the option "always unload dlls") until you shut down windows or crash the explorer. Repeatedly shutting and restarting IE shouldn't deplete your resources further than the first loss. Then it depends on apps you run. Some might be leaking resources because they are not very well written (which means all the resources they use aren't freed on exit). It might be as little as a few bytes each time but soon can drain all your resources as they are of fixed size, 64 KB even if you have got one gig of memory. This is the most annoying limitation of the 9x familly of OS. Nevertheless I manage uptimes of up to 7 days of quite intense use without being forced to reboot because of too low resources.

Jotho - I received your PM but best to post here as others may have ideas/opinions...

Don't worry about Temporary Internet Files.....go ahead and delete them.

Also, I would not be concerned about older IE folders/files...

Just do a disk cleanup (the easiest way for you maybe at the moment) and delete all - with what Windows allows you to delete, you can't get in too much trouble!

Jeff

delete all - with what Windows allows you to delete, you can't get in too much trouble!

That's not true. You can delete system.ini, win.ini and you wont restart your windows properly if at all without them. And there are many other files like this. Always know what you are doing unless you experiment of course.

:realmad: Are you a troll ? Do you want to f*** his system just for fun ?

delete all - with what Windows allows you to delete, you can't get in too much trouble!

That's not true. You can delete system.ini, win.ini and you wont restart your windows properly if at all without them. And there are many other files like this. Always know what you are doing unless you experiment of course.

:realmad: Are you a troll ? Do you want to f*** his system just for fun ?

hey, watch your attitude and mouth!!! All I do is [try to] help people...and I don't mouth off to others that are doing the same. Did you read my responses to other issues here at this forum? I know you must have read a few, since you added value responses after mine....

The cleanup utility that Windows provides to all users....

it's called Disk Cleanup and on everyone's start menu...

I like how you misquoted me, too...left off the fact that I noted to use the disk cleanup utility....

geez.....

Hello Newbie,

You learned a hard lesson. Do not do if you are not sure. Ask first.

I would not recomment using IE at all/ It attracks to many viruses and spyware.

Also if someone offers you a "FREE" program. DO not accept it. It probally contains a Virus.

Go to www.Download.Com. Type "Firefox" into the search box. Download Mozilla's FireFox browser to your desktop. Rename the file you Download "FireFox Browser v1.0.2 setup.exe".

Install the FireFox browser you downloaded.

It is also a great idea to create a folder within your programs files folder to contain all your setup installation programs. Name it somthing like "Installation setup Programs" Move the "FireFox Browser v1.0.2 setup.exe". to this new folder.

Keep your files neat and organized !

Also I suggest for any newbie to upgrade to XP Pro, Not home. It is easier to use than 98SE. However you need to see if your computer can handle XP. Check what CPU and how much memory you have by right clicking "My Compter" > "Properties"

If your interested, I can help you get a affordable copy of XP Pro.

MRGCAV@hotmail.com

Hello Newbie,

You learned a hard lesson. Do not do if you are not sure. Ask first.

I would not recomment using IE at all/ It attracks to many viruses and spyware.

Also if someone offers you a "FREE" program. DO not accept it. It probally contains a Virus.

Go to www.Download.Com.  Type "Firefox" into the search box. Download Mozilla's FireFox browser to your desktop. Rename the file you Download "FireFox Browser v1.0.2 setup.exe".

Last time I checked, firefox was a free program - better not use it then, probably contains a virus :P

Get a good virus checker (I prefer Trend) and use any program you feel comfortable with. I use plenty of 'free' programs and with a bit of common sense, a good AV and anti-spyware prog, you will generally be safe.

IE, with all the patches, and something like SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster is quite as safe as Firefox. Personally I prefer Firefox now, but am not so blinkered to believe that if it had the same share of users (and time in service) as IE that it would be any more secure.

If your interested, I can help you get a affordable copy of XP Pro.

This sounds a bit like you are offering illegal copies? As does your post in another message offering 'Contact for more info and a license'. Be aware that it not accepted here. My apologies if I understood you wrong.

could you go a bit easy on the bright colours and large fonts too pls - my old eyes are not what they used to be, lol :blink:

SP