Unattended Installation of x64 Edition

How to make a unattended installation of windows x64 edition?

-> Buy winpe 2005 (hope you will get it) :angry:

What cheek!

For a basic installation task you have to buy an additional software.

Really I don't understand why winpe 2005 is not included with the x64 final edition.

Ok M$ must make money ...

I don't think that this is a sagacious policy.

Setup and installation considerations for Windows x64 Edition-based computers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896334/

goldfinger

Hey all!

Well, I have already integrated Mass Storage Drivers and am crateing a new CAB file and integrating it all with as many 64-Bit drivers as I can get my hands on.

As per the Method I helped develop on this Thread... :whistle:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=41841

This method does not require the need for a WINNT.SIF file to add extra drivers.

As far as Software, We will have to see. I am interested to hear from anyone who has attempted yet. I am starting this weekend on with my setup. That way when the Retail arrives at the end of the month I can transplant my work into that one. :thumbup

i am not even thinking about drivers yet...i'm still at the pondering point ;)

so how do you make an UA x64 ?

copy cd to hdd and make/edit winnt.sif ? or will that not work with x64 ?

i wanna start making my stuff too but i think it might be handy if one knew if the process is the same for a normal UA xp and this new UA x64 xp......

X-Savior how did you do it ? can you answer my questions please ?

I think WinPE 2005 is needed for a network based unattended installation.

The winnt.sif methode will work only on a CD/DVD.

Maybe this winnt.sif method will work with a local harddisk, too.

I don't know.

The main problem is that you can't run winnt32 of x64 edition under xp (32 Bit) or winpe 2004 (32 Bit) or BartPE. And there is no support of any DOS based installation (winnt).

The following list describes the key changes between the Windows x64 Edition installation process and the Windows x86 installation process:• Windows Startup floppy disks cannot be used to install x64 Edition-based version of Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Professional. This is because the kernel that is supplied with x64 Edition-based operating systems is now over 2 MB and does not fit on a standard floppy disk.

• You cannot use Winnt.exe to install Windows x64 Edition. Winnt.exe is not included on the Windows x64 Edition installation CD-ROM. 

• The installation process for x86 32-bit operating systems cannot be started from within the x64 operating system environment. For example, you cannot install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition from within the 32-bit version of Windows XP Professional.

• The x86 versions of the Windows operating system cannot be upgraded to the x64 Edition version of the Windows operating system. However, Windows Server 2003 x64 Standard Edition can be upgraded to Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise Edition.

• The installation process for x64 Edition operating systems does not support MS-DOS based mechanisms. For example, you cannot install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition from a command prompt. 

• The layout of the x64 Edition-based version of Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP installation CD-ROM has changed. The primary installation folder for Windows x64 Editions is the AMD64 folder. However, the i386 folder still exists and contains files that are required to install the Windows x64 Edition-based operating system. Therefore, before you can successfully start the installation of the Windows x64 Edition operating system either locally or from a network share, you must make sure that the AMD64 folder and the other folders that are contained on the Windows x64 Edition installation CD-ROM are either copied locally or copied to the network share. 

• The installation of the Windows x64 Edition-based operating system must be performed by starting the computer by using the Windows x64 Edition installation CD-ROM or by starting the installation from within another Windows 64-bit operating system. 

• The Windows x64 Edition operating system is not currently available as a retail product. At release the Windows x64 Edition operating system will only be distributed for evaluation or through MSDN, Software Assurance, volume channels and OEM channels.

• The Windows x64 Edition operating system supports "sticky" hotfixes. "Sticky" hotfixes are not overwritten or uninstalled when other updates are applied unless those updates are a more current version than the file that is currently installed on the computer. 

Because of these changes, we recommend that you perform a clean installation of the Windows x64 Editions operating systems from the CD-ROM.

The Windows x64 Editions operating systems may also be deployed by using an unattended installation, System Preparation Tool (Sysprep), and Remote Installation Services (RIS) methods. For more information about how to use these tools, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003.../deploykit.mspx

goldfinger

RIS, ADS and SMS OSD will use WINPE.

If I remember right you need the OPK (winpe) for RIS installation of x64, too. Windows PE is not included with RIS. The new version of the deployment tools above use the new winpe/w2k3sp1 feature to load winpe via ramdisk and PXE.

I know that OSD will include WINPE 2005. Unfortunally there is no tool to extract WINPE 2005 from the WIM File.

goldfinger

How to make a unattended installation of windows x64 edition?

-> Buy winpe 2005 (hope you will get it)  :angry:

What cheek!

What nonsense.

If you made unattended installs of WinXP 32-bit, then its all still the same. This thread is a lot of hot-air on an irrelevant subject.

From basic unattending to extreme advanced uA:

http://unattended.msfn.org/

And the exact same thing can be extrapolated for RIS installs over the network - needs only Win2k or WS2k3.

The bottom-line:

If what you have been doing all along has never required WinPE, nor are you going to need it now with x64 either.

RIS, ADS and SMS OSD will use WINPE.

If I remember right you need the OPK (winpe) for RIS installation of x64, too. Windows PE is not included with RIS. The new version of the deployment tools above use the new winpe/w2k3sp1 feature to load winpe via ramdisk and PXE.

I know that OSD will include WINPE 2005. Unfortunally there is no tool to extract WINPE 2005 from the WIM File.

goldfinger

RIS does not use WinPE today, regardless of what architecture you are installing (though you can bootstrap WinPE from RIS, but it is generally much less efficient than the newly available PXE/RAMDisk functionality) - neither does ADS (which does not currently support booting WinPE) - and RIS supports X86, AMD64, and IA64 with RISetup, and X86 and AMD64 with RIPrep.

As the SMS OSD does not support PXE booting clients (or even CD booting them), using the SP1 RAMDisk feature would be a totally new feature area for it, and as of yet I've heard no announcements of such.

• 2 weeks later...
The bottom-line:

If what you have been doing all along has never required WinPE, nor are you going to need it now with x64 either.

If you are doing unattended network based installs today with a DOS floppy to kick it off, you can not continue this with x64. This would require some form of WinPE x64.