any other ways to speed up startup beside disable

lansing

Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system.

from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/syspe...ot/bootvis.mspx

so I don't think bootvis is a usefull option.

what boooggy said: what is your configuration, hard and software.

1. Clear your Icon Cache about once a month. In the example below from my batch file you must modify the path so that it is applicable to the User Name(s) on your system that is normally used. This is the content of the batch file:

Del C:\Docume~1\[user Name]\LocalS~1\Applic~1\iconcache.db

2. Another thing to do is reduce your fonts to what you really need. X-Fonter 4.6 is a Font manager that highlights those required by the OS which makes it simple to get rid of unnecessary fonts. The program also "saves" those fonts you are removing by putting them in a folder. The download link I have provided is a Direct link.

3. You may want to consider cleaning out your Prefetch Folder. This may or may not have a salutary effect. Windows by default is supposed to be updating and refreshing and cleaning out the Prefetch Folder on a regular basis therefore one thing to do is look in the folder and see if there are items present which you do not expect. Such as references to Windows updates which you performed more than 5 days previous or programs which you have not run for a long time or have even uninstalled. If you see such references then Windows is failing in its Prefetch Folder tasks. If that is the case clearing the Prefetch Folder will likely help with your problem. One common reason for Windows to fail in its automatic Prefetch Folder tasks is disabling the Task Manager service which is required for automatic Windows Prefetch tasks. If that is the case you may want to consider turning that service back on as the Prefetch, when properly managed, does benefit the system. One benefit being faster startup.

4. Know that the longest delay during system startup is most often attributable to an Ethernet card. Sometimes this delay can be reduced by using a different brand card. Perhaps others with greater experience in this regard may have more useful suggestions about how to reduce the Ethernet card startup delay.

5. If you have some non-essential programs starting up which you run at startup because you make regular use of them consider removing them from startup and running them as needed or delay them from starting during the OS startup with a program that delays their start such as Startup Delayer.

6. If your startup programs include those not installed by Default during Windows installation consider using a program such as Starter to move your faster starting programs to Registry - Machine Run and your slower starting programs to later in the line up. This will allow windows to start the faster starting programs first and leave off running the slow starter until last. For example on my system I run 7 programs at startup that are not Default Windows items. One of them is the firewall which is a very slow starter (it has to wait for the network 'eh?). I can control the other 6 with Starter and have set them to Registry - Machine Run which Windows processes before it gets to the firewall. This has resulted in a faster boot for my system.

7. This Useful Information can help you to figure out which parts of the Registry are starting first and what might be taking the longest.

Edited by oftentired

Bootvis does speed up the boot process at least for me it has. Defragging is the best option imo without requiring to tinker with services and registry files for he uninitiated. So get software like Executive Diskkeeper...brilliant program. I have it set on screensaver mode so that is the time when it starts to defrag on its own and the hdd stays all clean and organized. Mac OS X does not require a separate defragging softwre it does it on the fly. Thats where I got the idea of setting up a screensaver mode.

I mentioned the Prefetch folder. Because this is a system folder it can be opened by clicking Start > Run typing the word prefetch and pressing Enter (or clicking OK).

I'm using WinXP, it didn't work when i type "prefetch " in the run command.