Network doesn't work

BigDaddy

Just did a fresh install of WinXP w/ slipstreamed SP2.

I didn't create any User Accounts. So I use the Administrator one. But the problem is that when I try to access this computer from the HOME LAN I can't connect to it. It keeps asking me about a password and a username for this computer. The strange thing is that I haven't set any passwords, cos I never do.

Could some1 pliz help me out here??

Set an administrator password 'cause local security policy doesn't allow you to log on localy..reason: blank passwords not allowed...

You can either change this setting local security policy and change this setting or (the easier way) to set an administrator password....

N1K, this is true, but I always think that any netowork computer should be passworded.  Old habbits die hard.

Hail Hail

I have to agree with you. Network PC-s should be password protected although this security setting is for situations just like this one, where users don't enter their passwords..In this case no network connection could be made..

Okay... It looks like nobody has been able to help you out. Here's the deal. You say that the administrator account was creating at install time with no password and that you are unable to attach to the computer via your home LAN.

THe most likely scenario here is that you're logged into another computer with a different account. Regardless of whether you have no password set or not, you wil be prompted to enter a user name and password unless passthrough authentication is at work.

So, if you log on to your computer as administrator <no password>, and go to access a share on the new isntallation, you will not be prompted.

Okay... It looks like nobody has been able to help you out. Here's the deal. You say that the administrator account was creating at install time with no password and that you are unable to attach to the computer via your home LAN.

THe most likely scenario here is that you're logged into another computer with a different account. Regardless of whether you have no password set or not, you wil be prompted to enter a user name and password unless passthrough authentication is at work.

So, if you log on to your computer as administrator <no password>, and go to access a share on the new isntallation, you will not be prompted.

Yeah, right, that helped for sure :whistle:

Yeah, right, that helped for sure :whistle:

Should help a lot more than your lame recommendation (or lack thereof).

Set an administrator password 'cause local security policy doesn't allow you to log on localy..reason: blank passwords not allowed...

You can either change this setting local security policy and change this setting or (the easier way) to set an administrator password....

Tanx, did it the hard way thru GPEDIT.MSC -->> I really dislike having passwords on my client computers. I only have the SERVER passworded

Tanx, did it the hard way thru GPEDIT.MSC -->> I really dislike having passwords on my client computers. I only have the SERVER passworded

Touche Diggity noob :whistle:

It seems that after all I was the one who helped the man, not u, so..... ;)