SP 2.0 RC3

@ Fredledingue

post me link to the open source windows code, in fact any source code for any MS files.

anyone ?

i haven't resorted to this before, but you, my son, are talking sh*t.

if you want open source go Linux, but what the hell, i can tell i'm dealing with a child,

more life experience, and less staring at a CRT is what you need.

Gape's in Turkey, is a new EU member state, so can't enjoy the quite the same lawlessness you can.

and "compiling updates from M$ website" is exactly what he said he was doing, and there's no "merely" about it,

as has been seen, it's dam complicated, too complicated.

BTW i work for Microsoft UK.

(although not as a coder).

my original post wasn't a critique, i was just raising my concerns.

i said three files were unnessecery hacked in 1.6.2, which they were.

and later was inferring that Tihiy & Dr. Hoiby's should not be used,

both perfectly reasonable opinions, which some of you seem to have taken issue with.

but i guess when your dealing with some people whom bearly understand half of what your writing

you need to make things a little less complicated so please see the pic attached below.

edited - for Petr

open the quicklaunch shortcut in notepad and you see this -

[shell]

Command=2

IconFile=explorer.exe,3

[Taskbar]

Command=ToggleDesktop

change the IconFile line to anything you want.

start a topic in the lower forum and i'll guide you through more if you want.

post-41758-1114881966_thumb.jpg

I'd like to point out that in SE SP 2.0 RC3 are only two files that are not original Microsoft files - SHELL32.DLL and EXPLORER.EXE, and the only difference between these files and original files are changed resourecs - icons and bitmaps.

The modified versions are only used when installing the optional win2k theme, arent they?

The modified versions are only used when installing the optional win2k theme, arent they?

No, at least in RC3 they are installed always, see the RUNPOST.BAT file:

if exist %winbootdir%\system\SHELL32.W98 goto sleek

start /w rundll32 %winbootdir%\system\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection SHELL32.INF,DefaultInstall

goto cont

:sleek

start /w rundll32 %winbootdir%\system\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection SLEEK.INF,DefaultInstall

REM -----

:cont

Petr

post me link to the open source windows code, in fact any source code for any MS files.

anyone ?

Why should I do that?

The only thing I know is that M$ decided after a lenghty debates and famous lawsuits to open its source code to public, or part of these codes.

It's very hard for me to imagine that an open source code can be hacked. Of course "open source" doesn't means there is no liability toward M$.

i haven't resorted to this before, but you, my son, are talking sh*t.

But anyway, here is the link

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/default.mspx

Gape's in Turkey, is a new EU member state
Yep! Here you lost a good occasion not to look stupid on this forum. :thumbup

Now, a 2 cents question: Is the UK a member of the EU?

, so can't enjoy the quite the same lawlessness you can.

First, unlike Gape, I do live in the EU.

Second, what lawlessness are you talking about? Using SP2.0 is perfectely legal.

It only cancel the M$ guarantee, something nobody serious would worry about.

and "compiling updates from M$ website" is exactly what he said he was doing, and there's no "merely" about it,

as has been seen, it's dam complicated, too complicated.

That's why I said, he is not merely doing only that. (please read)

But I realy don't care if the file issued by M$ were modified or not. It's realy the least of my concern. And I don't understand why poeple worry about that.

If there were some virus, spyware or very big mistakes, it will be known very fast and the SP would be short-lived.

BTW i work for Microsoft UK.

(although not as a coder).

LOL! And you are afraid that SP2.0 will jeopardize your Windows-XP sale performance. :D

whatever you may say these files are hacked and i very much doubt a couple of Russian coders know more than the staff at the Microsoft campus and the owners of the source code, whatever loyaltys you may have to your friends i am not alone in the assumption.
Ahm... Looks like... Kind of... bashing me?..
The only thing I know is that M$ decided after a lenghty debates and famous lawsuits to open its source code to public, or part of these codes.

Lol, my son.

Wow !

Firstly, I don't like to modify any file of Windows. I always try to avoid it. (However, I don't avoid to modify a file to fix any serious bug, for example, annoying 137 GB HDD problem).

Secondly, IMHO, the only problem of SP about its legality is modified files. SP 2.0 RC3 has only two modified files, EXPLORER.EXE (icons, bitmaps, 256-color tray patch) and SHELL32.DLL (icons, bitmaps). Because of they're very small changes, it seems that it's not problem for Redmond. I have tried to remove these modified files.

I think it should include:

- An (optional) patcher for 256-color tray icons.

- A good free (optional) Notepad replacement like MetaPad, instead of modifying it.

- An (optional) icl file for Windows 2000 icons.

But I have some problems:

- I haven't found a good patching tool.

- Changing icons w/o modifying files doesn't look good as Petr explained above, (and there's lots of icon references on the registry).

SP has carefully chosen updates (not only 98SE updates), and registry settings to make a more stable and secure Windows 98SE environment. It is a succesfull result of years of experience and feedback of lots of users. But I don't claim that SP is perfect, of course you can prefer Windows Update instead of SP.

I feel that every version of SP will be better with your excellent support and feedback.

Gape,

thanks for clearing that up, i liked all that you said,

nice to see your thinking along those lines.

- I haven't found a good patching tool.

- Changing icons w/o modifying files doesn't look good as Petr explained above, (and there's lots of icon references on the registry).

please (if you have the time) pm me a list of patchers you've tried and i'll see if i can find an alternative you can use,

i assume you'd be looking for something free, small, redistributable with a commandline, correct ?

as for the icons i'm working on that...

like i said before, love all your work

:thumbup

Tihiy,

sorry if it came across like that, Fredledingue was p***ing me off,

so i was hot and bothered, i like your stuff, i just don't think personally

it should be in the SP, you should also imo (to avoid legal issues) redistribute

them as a binary patches of some kind to be applied to copys of preexisting files,

that's all i can say, once again sorry.

:blushing:

Fredledingue,

i'm not even going to bother,

except to say that XP sales don't concern me,

i'm just the tea boy.

;)

mamas6667

heres the homepage of that "Trojan" -

http://www.doxdesk.com/software/js/parasite.html

apparently its not, it actually fights them.

:}

Hi Gape,

I have checked comments in the main INF file and here are some possible changes:

Disktsd.vxd ;246387

Hh.exe ;W2003 SP1

Regtlib.exe ;oainst - IE6.0SP1

Hhctrlui ;W2003 SP1

Sysdm.cpl ;272620, 272621

Cabinet.dll ;InstMSIA

Vpowerd.vxd ;246817, 246615

Rsaenh.dll ;iedom - IE6.0SP1

Enhsig.dll ;iedom - IE6.0SP1

Hhctrl.ocx ;W2003 SP1

Hhsetup.dll ;W2003 SP1

Itircl.dll ;W2003 SP1

Itss.dll ;W2003 SP1

Asycfilt.dll ;W2000 SP4

Oleaut32.dll ;W2000 SP4

Olepro32.dll ;W2000 SP4

Stdole2.rlb ;W2000 SP4

Regsvr32.exe ;W2000

Msvbvm60.dll ;vbrun60

Ndis.vxd ;270063

Kbdhid.vxd ;245065, 242928

Mouhid.vxd ;Intellipoint 4.12

Vnbt.386 ;269239, 264650

Pppmac.vxd; DUN14

Msnet32.dll ;dsclient 323455

Sens.dll ;IE5.5SP2

Maybe you will correct me.

Please also move to "Localizable strings" section:

"0409" LCID

"EN" locales

"Show Attributes in Detail View" text

"Registering " texts

to make localization easier.

Petr

One question regarding strong/weak cryptography. In the Service Pack are the following files:

SECUR32.DLL - Microsoft Win32 Security Services (Export Version)

SCHANNEL.DLL - TLS / SSL Security Provider (US and Canada Use Only)

RSAENH.DLL - Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider (US/Canada Only, Not for Export)

The export restrictions were relaxed several years ago, so it is not the problem, but is there also SECUR32.SLL with strong cryptography?

Petr

Miko

You started with this "hacked files" story that I found very stupid. But, ok, enough with this.

I think you can easily explain to those who would have the idea of checking the files, that the modification concern only icons.

If there were some legal problems with M$, I think we would know of it already.

It would be interresting to know to what extent the guys at M$ are watching the progress of the SP...

I have checked comments in the main INF file and here are some possible changes:

Maybe you will correct me.

Please also move to "Localizable strings" section:

"0409" LCID

"EN" locales

"Show Attributes in Detail View" text

"Registering " texts

to make localization easier.

Thanks for the corrections. But I want to explain that these comments state the source of the file, they are not for listing all related updates. And I try to give a KB-number instead of a name.

I have already added localizable strings. (Maybe I don't reply all posts, but trust me I read all posts carefully. ;))

Thanks for the corrections. But I want to explain that these comments state the source of the file, they are not for listing all related updates. And I try to give a KB-number instead of a name.
That's OK, I was not sure what is the origin for some files because you had different KB number in the INF file than is the hotfix package available (if any). Filelist for dun14, dsclient and other packages have its KB number too.
I have already added localizable strings. (Maybe I don't reply all posts, but trust me I read all posts carefully. ;))

I believe :-)

I wanted to summarize what I found because I forgot one string in my previous post.

Petr

Miko

If there were some legal problems with M$, I think we would know of it already.

It would be interesting to know to what extent the guys at M$ are watching the progress of the SP...

Does anyone know anything about the SP's legality? It is here since January 2004, and Microsoft have never requested removing of the pack from the net.

May I know what does the modification of WINBOOT.SYS?

There are changed bytes at address 136C2 04 -> 03 and 136D5 74 EE -> 90 90.

Are there any other modified files?

Petr