A Disk Read Error Occurred

tubui

A Disk Read Error Occurred

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to Restart

I was playing a game called Mu Online and all of a sudden it froze, so I tried restarting. It wouldn't restart so I press the reset button with the feeling something bad was gonna happen. And I was right. I get the message above^.

Now, I went on many forums , I getthe same response - damaged hard drive.

I run Windows XP Professional. I have 2 hard drives. One hard drive contains 5 partitions. 2 partitions have XP installed. 2 partitions in hard drive 1 is damaged, and one of them has XP installed. The second hard drive has 2 partitions but none is damaged.

I used a program called Knoppix and went in there to retrieve some of my files. When I got in there, I couldn't view 2 partitions, knowing what they are and what files they contained.

Then I head over to my last resort - refromating. When I got to the refromat screen, It shows all my partitions, the drive letter, sizes and wheter is NTFS or FAT32. Then I saw something I never seen before. Instead of have NTFS or FAT32 next to two of the damaged partitions, it said [uNKNOWN].

Now, my question -

1. Is there a way for me to fix this error without formatting anything OR can I fix the error by refromating the TWO damaged partitions.

2. If refromating the 2 damaged partitions might work then before I refromat the damage partitions, can you please supply me with a program to retrieve my files.

Note: I don't have a floppy drive. I can only use CDs, no floppy programs.

Please help me, I'm very desperate. I've read this thread and I believe my problem is similar but different OS.

Heres an update situation. Someone helped me with test disk, but it failed. Then after putting my hard drive into another computer and running test disk, I plugged it back in and I got a NTLDR is missing, press ctrl alt del to restart. Then he gave me his NTLDR and I put it in my root folder. After that, no messages popped up but it won't load windows, it just restarts and restarts. Now I boot up the Windows XP CD, and I see THREE unknown partitions. If anyone can help me.. My msn is thuggishtwo@gmail.com and aim is thuggishtw0.

So now the problem isn't a disk read error occurred. It's recovering data from unknown partitions and restoring it. :(

I would use the program Partition Table Doctor 3 in this case - saved my life before, lol. There is a demo version from their website, and while it will not fix the problem, you can see if the full version would do it. Can recover a completely deleted partition table, MBR, etc, etc. I paid for the full version on the spot after the demo found my lost partitions, and it worked like a charm.

however, you may have problems if other utilities have written to the drive already.

It also comes with a bootable ISO image you can burn to a cd if your OS wont start.

SP

im not sure how ur fren help u to install back ur ntldr.. to play save u can go to this website to find out the proper way to install back ur missing ntldr file..http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

I would use the program Partition Table Doctor 3 in this case - saved my life before, lol. There is a demo version from their website, and while it will not fix the problem, you can see if the full version would do it. Can recover a completely deleted partition table, MBR, etc, etc. I paid for the full version on the spot after the demo found my lost partitions, and it worked like a charm.

however, you may have problems if other utilities have written to the drive already.

It also comes with a bootable ISO image you can burn to a cd if your OS wont start.

SP

Hmm, I can't pay man.. I am looking for free programs.. Please = really desperate! I have 3 partitions that are lost with alot of data. I need to get them back!