Internet Cafe Pc

colinbate

I am looking to set up a couple of internet cafe PCs.

I want to let users only run I.E. & nothing else.

My intention is to have PC autologin & run I.E. only.

Can you completely disable the start menu.

Regards

Colin

You can use the Software restriction policy which will only let them execute files with the file names that you allow. IE if you set up a new policy and add iexplorer.exe to it then users will be able to run only the file named iexplorer.exe. They will still have access to the start menu tho.

You should ALSO check under User Config part of policy editor under start menu and taskbar to remove all the options you want to. May I also suggest if you do use IE to turn off activeX or do something like use firefox so your system does not get infected with malware.

Hope this helps...

Go get the IEAK, it will allow you to cutomize IE and then bind it as the program. as for the security policies, yes you can make it so that that user only has one program to run. You cannot directly block the start bar, but you can make it so the only thing on the bar is IE, remember that you need to disable all shortcuts as well. like WIN-E, or WIN-R etc. From the registry you can edit all that. Just remember that you need to password protect the bios, disable boot from anything but hd, and actually DISABLE the administrator account. I wouldnt even put cdroms or floppies in them. Also make IE a service you can use srvany to do that, then if someone tries to close it it will reopen, also xyntservice can check status of app and rerun if closed.

You can do that with policies

I cant find a way to disable the start menu completely.

I have found a policy to allow only specified programs to run this may help.

Regards

Colin

start:

gpedit.msc

goto:

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System

and use Custom User Interface

change it to iexplore.

And instead of the explorer you usually get, you just have internet explorer.

Once this is done, it can't be undone easaly!

mind you in the addressbar they can type file:///c:/ and DOES work.

adjust the rest of your policy's as needed.

uhm... don't know that one... the only way I can think of is make it a service..

one that starts when closed.

there are several programs that allow you to create a service from any application.

I've found the answer I think.

User Configuration->Administrative Templates -> Windows Components

-> Internet Explorer -> Browser Menus :

"File Menu Disable closing the browser and Explorer windows"

I've not tried it yet.

EDIT: Yes it works.

Regards

Colin

Have a look at http://www.cafemaster.net/CM/ for billing and Deepfreeze for config and support. Deepfreeze is a cool program if a client does change the OS settings (and they will no matter what us set) i.e. virus, just restart and it is back to your original config, cost a bit but does save time and is earier than having someone re ghost as all they have to do is restart. Half the cafes in london use this.

inom...