Wg111 Usb Wifi Adapter Causes Windows To Freeze

nxtw

Hello. I have a Netgear WG111 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter. Upon inserting it into the USB ports (or even booting with it inserted), Windows 98SE + SP 2.0 RC2 freezes instantly. If I hit control-alt-delete (while Windows is already running), msgsrv32 is frozen. Killing it or hitting Cancel will unfreeze Windows, but renders the PC card bus inoperable until I reboot (Windows doesn't recognize cards were removed, inserting a card results in msgsrv32 freezing again).

Other devices, both USB 1 and 2, work just fine (digital camera, iPod, flash memory, Bluetooth adapter.)

I'm using a 266MHz Pentium-MMX laptop with 64MB of RAM. USB is provided by a Belkin F5U222 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Notebook Card.

Any ideas?

Hello. I have a Netgear WG111 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter. Upon inserting it into the USB ports (or even booting with it inserted), Windows 98SE + SP 2.0 RC2 freezes instantly. If I hit control-alt-delete (while Windows is already running), msgsrv32 is frozen. Killing it or hitting Cancel will unfreeze Windows, but renders the PC card bus inoperable until I reboot (Windows doesn't recognize cards were removed, inserting a card results in msgsrv32 freezing again).

Other devices, both USB 1 and 2, work just fine (digital camera, iPod, flash memory, Bluetooth adapter.)

I'm using a 266MHz Pentium-MMX laptop with 64MB of RAM. USB is provided by a Belkin F5U222 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Notebook Card.

Any ideas?

Are you sure that have you latest drivers for your USB and mainboard?

Are you sure that have you latest drivers for your USB and mainboard?

There are no motherboard drivers for Windows 98SE, as the system is seven years old. All hardware is supported in Windows itself. As for the USB adapter, I installed the latest drivers from Belkin's website.

I also tried Windows Me, and got the same result.

With a little luck u can "rig" the INF file u got from your WiFi device manufacturer to use the most recent 2000/XP drivers with 98SE.

The driver format must have the SYS file extension.

If u want, I can take a look at your INF file, just let me know.

But this is along shot, it may not work, and the only way to use your WiFi gadget is to use XP or 2003. :(

With a little luck u can "rig" the INF file u got from your WiFi device manufacturer to use the most recent 2000/XP drivers with 98SE.

The driver format must have the SYS file extension.

If u want, I can take a look at your INF file, just let me know.

But this is along shot, it may not work, and the only way to use your WiFi gadget is to use XP or 2003. :(

I don't think the drivers will help... I installed Windows Me. As soon as I plugged in the USB card and the wifi adapter, it froze too... before even installing the drivers. The device is too new for Windows Me to have drivers for it.

I guess I'm going to have to settle for the slowness of Windows 2000 or unusability of Linux.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Same problem with 2 different usb 2.0 wifi adapters (D-Link WUA 2310 & NetGear WG111)

When using the adapter the system will seize completely, forcing a reboot. May happen within minutes or not for several hours but the system will always seize at some point.

I have verified that I am runnning the latest Bios version (A09) and have updated firmware for the chipset. I've installed latest drivers for the hardware. Both adapters installed clean. I am baffled . . .

Just realized all of these instances occurred when the adapter (s) were actually being used. I'm testing now for the adapter simply being connected to the computer but not in use.

Dell Dimension 8400

Intel Pentium 4 3.00Ghz, 3072MB Ram

WinXP Pro Service Pack 3

Moss

Edited by mossrack

Hi mossrack. Welcome to MSFN.

This topic is four years old and about a problem in Windows 98SE.

It is probably unlikely that your problem is related to this one.

The original discussion was for an immediate system hang upon inserting the adapter or booting with it in.

Your issue varies, and being Windows XP, is a different set of drivers and system files.

Note at what times the hangs happen and what level of traffic there is over the connection.

It appears to be a traffic related problem.

Can you use a flash drive in the same USB port and transfer lots of data back and forth without a hang?

I am having a combination of both problems, the one stated in the original post and the recent post. I am using Windows 98SE and a different wifi adapter than the ones stated. When I plug in the wifi adapter, the system freezes. Ctrl-Alt-Del shows msgsrv32 frozen. When I end that task, system becomes unfrozen and I can actually use the wifi for a few minutes before system hangs completely. Have to power off and on to reboot at that point. The few minutes I can actually use wifi varies, often less than 5 minutes but never longer than 20 minutes. I've had both msgsrv32 and the complete hang happen with and without all the latest unofficial updates installed. Still haven't found a solution. So frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...