Upgrade To Xp Or Stay Me?

jeeva

Stay on ME with PIII or move to XP?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Stay on ME with PIII or move to XP?

• Stay on Me
    • Move to XP
    • Try 2000

i got ah simlar system too i have ah 550 Mhz pc and 192 MBs of Ram and all the stuff as well cd-rw and floppy drive and 3 hdds. soon i will be upgrading the memory mory too may ah gig that's later too come anyways and i have ah matrox video card build in by the way it works fine for me anyways.

i too am running xp on a pIII 500 with 256 of ram a 40Gig partitioned 4 times and a 8Mb Matrox AGP card and it runs great, i used a nlited XP and tweaked it using black viper's page. got it running 18 processes and using only 67.8Mb of ram, but you may want to put at least two partitions on your drive one for your OS and one dedicated to just a swap file. here is how i am running mine (Partition 1 -5200Mb= C:\Win98SE, Partition 2 -5200Mb= D:\WinXP, Partition3 -2500Mb=E:\SWAP, Partition 4 27xxxMB= F:\Stuff) i decided to run dual boot to mess around with it and i can say the system runs great, i play qauke III on it all the time when i'm not on my Main PC and i've seen XP that isnt nlited run flawlessly on a Pentium 233 with 320Mb of ram, only problem was it was a long slow process actually getting into your logon fully loaded up and ready to go, but after that it worked great, but it (XP) runs awesome on anything faster then a 233 with (my minimum requirement-->) 256 of Ram but you can run it on 128 since it says so itself, but my suggestion is definatly nlite it and viper it.

~D~

I Have a Pentium 2 350 MHz and 320 MB of RAM. Xp Runs like a dream compared to the P4 HTs we have at my school. It runs faster and more stable (behind a hardware firewall- linksys) than my 98se and Me setups on identical computers. They all are Gateway E-3200s I aquired after a local school upgraded they're computers. I have the same hardware, memory sticks, and use the same power outlets.

hate to break all your parties with your old P1's under 1ghz people lol. Rolling on my P4 2.8 512 mb Windows XP SP2! lol just joshing. I give respect to you all!

But i would definitly upgrade. XP is just over all more stable. And for reference i would go with XP Professional SP2. I have home and i always wanted Professinol lol. Theres really no big difference between the 2 except for connection to a domain and professional has Group Policy which home version doesnt.

And all the programs are moving up and most updated programs run more smoothly on updated OS systems. Go for the upgrade!

Oh and i would also definitly upgrade to 256 or 512 mb :) Then your computer will be unstoppable!

• 1 month later...

WinME is one of the worst Windows OSes ever made.

I agree with most when I say go WinXP.

I also would recomend bumping up your memory though. ;)

I would recommend 512 MB RAM or at least 256 MB RAM.

I would go with XP as well, turn off all the pretty features, put it in classic mode and turn off un-needed services and go to the computer advanced propertied performance tab and tune for best performance

took the words right outta my mouth! :) wouldnt hurt to get atleast 256mb rams cheap nowadays :) i just bought 2x256mb ddr 333mhz from Transcend and it was like $50! now if you want extremely good memory (corsair) that gonna cost ya some.... :lol:

Hello

Thanks for your opinions and sorry, that I didn't reply so far.

To update you, I have replaced my whole system, the P3 made it to the cellar now a 900 MHz Athlon with 256 Megs of RAM is here, no integrated s... as mentioned in one of the past post, a GF 2 GTS and Creative Live! is in there, 40 GB Harddisk now with 98 but also on the way to XP, I know this machine is eqipped with enough ressources to run XP, but I need my TV card to work, it's a Hauppauge WinTV Theater, there are drivers, but nothing seems to work, as I cannot get Overlay Support, because it needs direct access to the Hardware. Anyone knows something about it?

However, the second question, can I stream better with XP? A performance question, I tried with Windows Media Encoder 7.1 on 98 to stream live TV to the net so I can watch TV over Wireless LAN with my notebook, but I cannot reach the TV resolution of 768x576 pixels without serious pauses and stops. With XP I can use WME 9.0, so has somebody experience with that?

If I can either watch TV with Full Screen or if I can stream, then I'm ready to move over.

Thanks to all :thumbup Good comunity.

Jeeva