Upgrade To Xp Or Stay Me?

jeeva

Stay on ME with PIII or move to XP?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Stay on ME with PIII or move to XP?

• Stay on Me
    • Move to XP
    • Try 2000

Do you think they will stop sell xp cd without you are buying a new pc soon?

Shortly after Vista hits the retail channels next year, \P will no longer come preloaded by default shortly after that, again, at least on PC's destined for the home retail market. As far as purchasing OEM CDs though, they'll be around for years. You can still buy Windows 2000 OEM CDs if you do some hunting.

Note that retail CDs will likely dry up in the first year Vista is out, as few (if any) more will be going to retailers - OEM will be about the only way to get an XP CD once Vista is out in force.

Edited by cluberti

If the old PC with ME on it is an upgrade from 98 or 98/SE, then it's very unlikely that it's powerfull enough to run XP.

ME can be made to run much better than it does "out of the box".

I do it all the time. I can just about double its efficiency.

XP's a good OS, but uses several times the resources that ME uses.

ME could run OK on 64 megs of ram, for instance. XP needs 256 just to get started, 512 to run decent and 1 gig to run at optimum.

Think twice about installing XP on an ME or 98 machine.

:cheers:

Cheers mates,

Andromeda

XP needs 256 just to get started, 512 to run decent and 1 gig to run at optimum.

Although I've read similar to this numerous times over ther past 4 1/2 years, many, many, more times have I read of XP running very well on 256 and quite adequately on 128. Doesn't MS say only 128MB of RAM is required?

Although I've read similar to this numerous times over ther past 4 1/2 years, many, many, more times have I read of XP running very well on 256 and quite adequately on 128. Doesn't MS say only 128MB of RAM is required?

For plain-jane computer usage, 128MB will do just fine. The only difference is that Word may take 3 or 4 seconds to load, as opposed to 1 or 2. If those 2 seconds are such a big hit to your productivity, then you should consider upgrading.

Most people fail to realize, it's not XP that needs the memory, it's all the other programs that you run. ;)

Oh, and those of you who suggested Windows 2003... stop it. Don't tell people to either pirate or waste $1000 on an OS. :realmad:

Most people fail to realize, it's not XP that needs the memory, it's all the other programs that you run. ;)

Oh, and those of you who suggested Windows 2003... stop it. Don't tell people to either pirate or waste $1000 on an OS. :realmad:

Just so.

• 5 months later...