Upgrade To Xp Or Stay Me?

jeeva

Stay on ME with PIII or move to XP?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Stay on ME with PIII or move to XP?

• Stay on Me
    • Move to XP
    • Try 2000

its pretty clear that noone has actually stopped to read the first post before replying :P

I cant give you any hard facts or links, but personally, if I were in your position, I would upgrade to XP, upgrade your RAM, and try different compatibility modes with XP. If you still have issues, a good, working TV capture can be had for around $40...

as for streaming, do you mean streaming video (through a web browser)? Because that certainly CAN be done on XP.

In general, you wont usually find XP to be the source of compatibility problems, especially when dealing with hardware.

Well, I can only assume this guy has already made up his mind--but one thing I would add...

even if you just can't afford to buy/build a new computer, at least upgrade to the RAM to AT LEAST 256 (and I would actually recommend a minimum of 512). Memory is not that expensive and will make a noticable difference to your performance, even on an older system and especially is if you under 256MB.

• 1 month later...
You sohul downgrade to 98 or get xp, but ME is bad !
' date='May 30 2005, 11:13 AM' post='328644']WinMe is just a collection of bugs... I allways thought that... Win98 and Win95 were much more stable than WinMe... If you don't want to buy some ram (i would recomend 256 M for XP) or you think it is too bloated, you shoud try Win2k Sp4, or downgrade to Win98!

I think we all agree that ME is junk. I would consider these as my options:

1) Buy more memory and upgrade to XP

or

2) Leave hardware as is and "upgrade" to 98

XP is stable, but it's a clunker if you don't have enough RAM, which I find more important than a fast CPU. I've seen too many computers with "slow" CPUs that are slower still because they are starving for memory under XP. 256 MB is fine for XP itself, but if you plan on running ANY apps, go with 512.

Honestly it would depend on what I would be doing with the computer. If it were to extend the life of the computer, I would go with a seriously nLite version of XP and that would allow me to run newer apps on it. I would possibly maybe upgrade the ram a bit more for XP to run better. I have an old P3 500 that runs a non-nLited XP and it works like a charm. I bet if I upgraded the ram to 512 it would get a huge boost in performance...and another jump would be if I upgraded the hard drive as well. I bet that is a rather large bottleneck right there. Amazing how fast the P3 really is despite being so old!

You shut dump ME it that worst version of windoze

Go to the link below or call Dell Swiss aka Bestellen Sie Online oder wählen Sie 0848 844 644

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default....dhs1&l=de&s=dhs

If you don`t need or understand the Remote Management in XP Pro go for a

dell pc with XP Home edition SP2 build-in or the XP Multimedia or the Gamer's Edition if you need or like that?

Edited by the-matrix

You shut dump ME it that worst version of windoze

Go to the link below or call Dell Swiss aka Bestellen Sie Online oder wählen Sie 0848 844 644

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default....dhs1&l=de&s=dhs

If you don`t need or understand the Remote Management in XP Pro go for the

dell pc with XP Home SP2 build-in or the XP Multimedia or Gamer Version if you need or like that?

r u on something?

i'm convinced he's made the decsion by now! but i thought i might put my input in anyway

i used to hav a PIII 800 with 196mb before i got a P4, now i would never run xp on it after trying 2000, its so much faster, apart from the boot time, games would run smoother, and i could do more without it swapping everything to the hd, now downstairs we have a PIII 866 with 256mb of ram, and i find that very slow to use, i tried putting 2000 on it, it did run a lot faster, however everyones used to xp-shinyness and didn't like it so xp's on it, but there is definatly a noticable difference between xp 2000 on p3 hardware to me, also if your having troubles with stuttering streaming, if you can it might be worth trying 2000 see if that fixes it, i wouldn't be surprised if it did!

p.s. nliting xp i found does help on older hardware, but if you nlite 2000 on the same hardware, theres also a huuuge difference! you can get 2000 to boot very quickly using nlite i found.

there should be xp drivers avaliable for your card, i can't seem to find it now but i'm sure you said it uses haupage ? i know people who have that and it works fine, at least i know there are xp versions avaliable!

one last thing, another reason i like 2000 for older hardware, i used to use an old P90 with 96mb on a 6gig hd, now i'm sure a lot of people will faint at that, but it seemed to run much faster than nt4 did on it, also at the time i was using an amd 350 with 64mb of ram runing windows 98, guess which one was faster and more stable? :thumbup (obviously once it ahd started up it was very fast, however it did take a good 5 minutes to start)

Edited by Stead

I have a Pentium III 533 MHz with 192 MB RAM and 30 GB HD and wanted to ask if I should upgrade to XP or leave Me on it, I have several Programs that only work on XP on the other side WinTV works better on Me, because of a stability problem of 9x/ME the direct access of Hardware. The other advantage of staying on Me is the very fast startup <10 Seconds and Shutdown <3 Seconds.

Do you know any other good ideas to stay on ME or to move to XP.

That's a tough question. There are so very many variables involved here.

With the CPU, ram and HD you listed, it may well run XP but it will be a dog. That's below the minimum ram needed for XP.

You could however install XP and find out that it don't like your vid, sound, modem or peripheral devices.

I thought I pretty much had a mild version of a Super Computer before I made the big jump from 98/SE to XP-Pro, with an upgrade CD. The upgrade went smooth as silk. But then I found that my sound card didn't work any more, neither did my modem and my scanner. There were NO XP drivers available for any of those things. The sound card and modem were no big deal....I had new ones on the shelf, but dang it I had to buy a new scanner. :realmad: I was able to download new XP drivers for my printer, so I didn't have to replace that too.

ME can be cleaned up and made to run pretty good. I do that all the time for my own customers.

I've never upgraded an ME machine to XP yet. Most of them just can't hack XP and its demands on system resources.

If you decide to keep that old PC on Windows ME, drop me a PM. I've got some tricks for you to make it run a bit better.

Good Luck,

Andromeda ;)

They'll both run on your system - I've tried XP Pro on a Pentium 166 with 64Mb of RAM, but the performance won't be that good. nLite will help, but 9x OSs are still somewhat faster.

I would recommend a downgrade to 98SE (which is actually *better* in many ways) with Unofficial SP 2.1. It'll be very stable and fast.