Upgrade To Xp Or Stay Me?

jeeva

Stay on ME with PIII or move to XP?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Stay on ME with PIII or move to XP?

• Stay on Me
    • Move to XP
    • Try 2000

WinMe is just a collection of bugs... I allways thought that... Win98 and Win95 were much more stable than WinMe... If you don't want to buy some ram (i would recomend 256 M for XP) or you think it is too bloated, you shoud try Win2k Sp4, or downgrade to Win98!

Again, please read Post #30, it's very important to know, I have heard, that XP is sooo good, but now I need help for compatibility issues.

Don't take it personally, but from now on, I don't need a "upgrade to XP" or "downgrade to 98", I need a "Go to <Homepage> there you find something concerning your TV-Card Problems."

However thank you so far.

XP puts many more demands on your hardware than 2000. We have XP clients here at work and they are as slow as Hell! Most of the machines are P3s and it can take anything up to 15 minutes to boot up and logon to the network!

:blink: its all about security if the **** internet didnt have so many phishing spyware etc id use 98se less boat but xp pro sp2 seems to work well even on my p3-800mhz unless u find a good firewall etc .as for me bugs i myself have rarely had isssues running Me so weight the factors what do u need.

• 7 months later...

XP is quite ok to run on older machines. all you need is a fast hard drive and most of the lag time will be taken care of. Memory would be great as well. I have an old HP P3 500 mhz bad boy. IT has 256 mb of ram a geforce 2 64 mb vid card and while it doesnt exactly keep up with the other high end machines, it holds its own for everything you can throw at it. This is not nLited btw. If it is nLited I can see it unleashing more performance and that is quite impressive I think. XP is bloated I agree but it is quite friendly on the hardware.

Win2k is faster than XP by 15%. XP is faster than Win2k only on PIV chips above 1.8 Ghz or something like that when those chips can take advantage of hyperthreading.

If you have a PIII, slower PIV or AMD, Win2k will outperform XP in every situation.

Best gaming OS is Win2k SP5 (using HFSLIP) + FDV fileset (cleaner removal of IE than nLite) + nLite. I've tried this and it rocks.

2nd best gaming OS (for the few games that require at least IE5, non require IE6 to my knowledge) is Win2k + nLite (not removing IE5).

IE6 adds a lot more bloat and slows down the OS a lot compared to IE5.