Xp Firewall

Mr. Brownstone

Hello,

I just found out about this place, its pretty sweet.

Anyhoo, I got a friend who got a InexQ router. Its a Piece Oh Junk (google it, one of the top finds call it crap). I suggest that he gets a HUB and have all the computers just run a firewall.

So finally the question at hand, how good is the Firewall in XP? Should my friend just use zonealarm instead, or is it worth-while to get a router do do that stuff.

Back at my parents home we got an old machine soley dedicated to being a firewall (and also being a toy to goof around with), we just put linux on it then use a hub to split the connection to the net. I think this is a little advance for my friend.

A hardware firewall blocks unneeded ports. Most software firewalls just control which programs can use common ports. The Windows firewall blocks most ports unless your computer tries to use it and then it opens for you to use. That isn't very secure since viruses can open ports but it asks most times if that is allowed or not. Programs can add themselves as exceptions by adding keys to the registry so it's not so secure but it compliments ZoneAlarm pretty well. As far as i'm concerned it really depends if you need to stop hackers or just viruses & worms. If you want to stop hackers that might target you then do it all. Hardware, software, Windows firewalls. If you just want to stop bad software skip the hardware firewall for money's sake. You must value the information Vs. the cost of the hardware solution. Who cares if your computer is hacked if nothing important is on it. If he can't configure (or maintain) the software firewalls right they won't help unless he at least has a hardware firewall properly configured for him as backup protection though. blahblahblah.

A hardware firewall with NAS works great and blocks about 99% of the hackers.

Furthermore they are easy to maintain and not expensive.

I only used hardware firewalls in about 100 small bussinesses and never had a succesful hack attempt.

I'd also vote for the hardware firewall option.

A simple router with built in firewall capabilities should fit the needs of most home users. I would recommend Linksys over other brand names, since I've never had a bad router, and the tech support is decent compared to other companies.

If you want to be paranoid, you can also throw Zonealarm on there. It's a bit more work to get the computers talking to each other, but in the end, each will be even more secure than with the hardware firewall alone.

Even better... use Sygate Personal Firewall. It's a much better firewall that takes up less system resources than ZA.

From the original post it sounds like you want "share" share the quesiton, hense the "on all" statment. I think that firewall might be the wrong term. A little router, like a linksys, or a netgear, wont set you back much and the NAT capabilities are good enough for 99% of what you will do. The reason you need firewall on each machine is so that in case machine 1 get a virus etc through email then it wont spread. I vote for the hardware, most just drop in and you are good to go. Also dont get a HUB!!!! Get a switch.

There are other ways to share the internet besides a hardware firewall. Nowhere did I say not to use one either, it's what I use. Don't just buy a firewall for the sake of buying it. Have a reason for going through the hastle & expense is all i'm saying. Some people just don't have important information.

pwf is right though that his current router is probably sharing the internet now. I didn't actually see the word share though and I mostly don't use the Internet on my other networked computers. I only turn on sharing when I need it and do it through software and take them back off the Internet when I am done.. I still run software firewalls on the other pcs though to protect them from ME being on the Internet. Viruses spread through shares, ports, email, many different ways. Some open your computer as a server & broadcast the address. A hardware firewall will stop that almost everytime. Unless it uses port 80. Then a hardware firewall won't stop diddley. It won't stop worms & viruses that spread internally from computer to computer either. Only software can prevent that. It only takes an infected laptop no time to bypass your hardware firewall once it's plugged into your switch. You must have no friends on your network then. Without other protections in place you could be in trouble. It more likely you will be screwed by some bad software before you are actually screwed by a hacker. Alot of hackers these days want to borrow resources from your computer not crash you... Maybe your sister is trying to steal something off your computer in a home network though or parents are spying... Anything could happen with other computers in the mix. Prevent that sort of snooping with software.

It all depends on how well you keep everything up to date & what sites you visit if you should just plan on relying on virus protection & a hardware firewall. It's hardly ever overkill in my eyes to run ZoneAlarm & the Windows firewall regardless of a hardware solution on home computers. Port 80 is always open with a hardware firewall. You can be attacked through it. Filesharing programs use it. Viruses that act like filesharing programs use it.

Hence the need for more than just a hardware solution if you value your data.

Rings of security...

Another Windows FireWall question.

Normally when I start my computer the Windows FireWall is switched off and I have to switch it on in the Security Centre. This morning when I went into the Security Centre and tried to switch on the firewall I got the message: -

“We're sorry. The Security Center could not turn on Windows Firewall. To try turning on the firewall yourself, go to Windows Firewall in the Control Panel, In the Windows Firewall dialog General tab, select On (recommended), and then click OK.”

When I went to Windows Firewall in the Control Panel I got the message: -

“Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ECS) service?”

When I clicked on OK I got the message” - :}

“Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service.”

So I couldn’t start the firewall, luckily I have the Sygate FireWall, but the windows one was picking up some attacks and I would like to start it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Don H (my first post)

Personally, I'm a fan of Belkin routers, but yes, I'd always prefer a hardware router AND a software firewall as a solution

seeing as how an unprotected Windows computer WILL be infected within 10 minutes of being connected to the internet, it's just foolish not to be protected.

I've gotten Belkin reconditioned routers on eBay for less than $15, including 2 network cards and cables, so price is hardly an excuse

Another Windows FireWall question.

Normally when I start my computer the Windows FireWall is switched off and I have to switch it on in the Security Centre. This morning when I went into the Security Centre and tried to switch on the firewall I got the message: -

“We're sorry. The Security Center could not turn on Windows Firewall. To try turning on the firewall yourself, go to Windows Firewall in the Control Panel, In the Windows Firewall dialog General tab, select On (recommended), and then click OK.”

When I went to Windows Firewall in the Control Panel I got the message: -

“Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ECS) service?”

When I clicked on OK I got the message” - :}

“Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service.”

So I couldn’t start the firewall, luckily I have the Sygate FireWall, but the windows one was picking up some attacks and I would like to start it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Don H (my first post)

I'm having a similar situation after installing the SP2 upgrade.

In my case, looking at the Windows Firewall in the Security Center, the firewall is OFF. The buttons for ON and Don't allow exceptions are greyed out and I can not select them.

Switching to the Exceptions tab, I can add/remove exceptions and stuff. But for the life of me I can't get the firewall to enable.

I have looked at the registry section:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall

\StandardProfile \EnableFirewall and tried setting the DWord to zero or one. But neither will enable the firewall to be on.

Hopefully someone with a clue will offer some advise.

Rog

I am thinking of changing my Firewall from zonelalarm to Sygate. However, the version of ZA i use has an inbuilt virusscanner. If I move to sygate, can someone please suggest a GOOD and EFFICIENT anti virus scanner. Please don't suggest Norton, its not one of my options.

TIA

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=24895

Personally i like router integrated firewall it works great! But i always rather be safe then sorry. Dont want to have to reformatt my PC or reinstall windows having to go through all that trouble just from a hacker.

But happen to like Windows SP2 firewall. But for safety purposes i use sygate along with it. Very good combined. Nothing has gotten into or even near my computer with the protection i have lol ! :P:thumbup