Remove Xp Security Center?

1st off Im well aware on how to use nLite and how easy it is to remove the WIndows Security Center using this method.

Im also aware of the reg entries that you can use to 'Turn off' certain notifications about firewall / antivirus / etc... but Ive heard numerours reports that this doesnt completely solve the problem.

Im looking how to do this manually via batch or reg file, however, because I use my UA install for multiple PC's, some of which, I do want Security Center installed on.

Is there a winnt.sif component name for this, which I could remove it with? Looked at a couple reference of full component lists and didnt see any reference to it.

This possible?

Thanks!

I know this doesn't provide the exact solution your looking for, but you can easily disable the Service from running.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Security Center
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc]
"Start"=dword:00000004

Full List of Components

http://unattended.msfn.org/global/components_list.txt

I know this doesn't provide the exact solution your looking for, but you can easily disable the Service from running.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Security Center
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc]
"Start"=dword:00000004

Full List of Components

http://unattended.msfn.org/global/components_list.txt

Do you know if disabling that will also cause windows not to tell me when new critical updates are ready for download?

• 5 months later...

I tried the tweak to turn off the security center but it's still there. I have RyanVM's update pack's integrated into my SP2 XP. I've copied/pasted the code provided but to no avail. All my other reg tweaks are working great. Did MS do something to prevent the Security Center service from being disabled?

I think it isn't bad to keep new security services in SP2 but we can stop nags with this tweaks ...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

I tried the tweak to turn off the security center but it's still there.  I have RyanVM's update pack's integrated into my SP2 XP.  I've copied/pasted the code provided but to no avail.  All my other reg tweaks are working great.  Did MS do something to prevent the Security Center service from being disabled?

Not AFAIK.

That should work.

Check that you apply the reg correctly.

PS. Unless you're auto-installing a 3rd party firewall during uA, I do not recommend disabling Windows Firewall in the uA install.

<EDIT>

Security Center files can be found in i386, I don't know what the consequences are if they're removed from the source:

wscsvc.dl_ Windows Security Center Service

wscui.cp_ Security Center

Edited by Takeshi