Discussion About Dotnet

alexepascual

On one of my threads and on other threads here I have seen people suggesting not to have the .net framework installed. This makes me wonder what is the present degree of acceptance of the .net technologies.

(1) Are companies writing programs that target the framework or are they trying to make them compatible with machines that don't have the framework?

(2) Is Microsoft still pursuing wholeheartedly the .net thing? (I heard that Longhorn is based on .net)

(3) Are there other technologies appearing on the horizon that may challenge .net?

(4) What about Mono?

1. Companies are writing more applications using .Net, and many will have to port existing application to .Net becuase Microsoft is ending support for regual Visual basic application in the next version of Visual Studio. As a matter of fact there are several petitions to get microsoft to add it back, you can llok them up online is you want to add your name. As for the compability, you can compile a .Net application to native code if you wish. So applications can be made for both .Net environment and regular non .Net

2. According to Microsoft it is supposed to be an integral part, but give people a week and it will be removed. Go figure.

3. Take your pick. Anything could, I personally use java, and think that it is great! But any technology could end up taking off. I dont think that really anything other than .Net Java and C++ will stay in the Windows Environment. as you know there are lots of other interperted languages, and any one could end up taking off, justs depends on the mindset.

4. as for mono, if people dont know what it is go here http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page I live in utah, and as a matter of fact live down the street from Novell, and went to brain share this last week. The technology works. Lets you run .Net application in *nix, have used it and works as reported. IF the entire application is .Net, and you dont make native windows calls. The technology is getting a lot of support from Novell, and if what they say is true about the new active directory being rewritten, then there is a good chance that Novell could get Active directory running on there servers and make a network that would be really nice to administer.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions then ask.