Boot Cd That Can Partition Large Hard Drives?

Synomenon

My favorite / primary boot CD that I use right now for creating partitions and formatting them is the WindowsME OEM boot CD w/ RAMdrive from:

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

It has fdisk and can format partitions into FAT32. Is there something like this that can recognize a 250GB hard drive and make a single partition of the whole 250GB and that can also format it into NTFS? Thanks for any help.

Thanks Dahi, but it looks like you need to have Windows installed to run BartPE. I need to be able to do this stuff before installing Windows. So is there any utility like FDISK that can recognize and partition a WHOLE 250GB hard drive into one 250GB partition and also that can format it into NTFS?

I actually just did this tonight for someone. They had bought (2) 250GB Drives that were SATA :( I booted up the PC with Hiren's 6 and with Partition Magic 8.02, I was able to format both of them quickly in NTFS as FAT32 it would only let me format 199GB. Formatting with NTFS gave me around 237GB. I too used to use the Windows ME boot disk to do my partitioning & Formating, but Partition Magic is much faster plus you get a friendly GUI.

yes... DD 9 is my first choice for OS prep. I have set a 300 gb HD as ntfs with it. Correct detection through mobo and 48-bit LBA ATAPI support could be a set back.

This microsoft link explains how to enable 48 bit lba via cmdlines during XP OS install. I have found that though XP sp1 and above support this, it is not enabled by default (at least for me :rolleyes:). 2003 should be fine using that link. I think the minimum build for 2000 supporting LBA is sp4.

Also, I have done very large HD formats with paragon's recovery kit cd ran in linux at the menu, not DOS (uses partition manager 6 lite).

Getting 237gb from a 250gb HD is around the correct size using ntfs just in case you weren't sure...