New Shutdown Dialog

Tihiy

Haven't tried it yet, since the pic from Revolutions didn't show a Restart to DOS mode...

Is it there, hidden? If hidden, can it be unhidden? We 98'ers, of course, probably all use DOS (I for sure do)...

Haven't tried it yet, since the pic from Revolutions didn't show a Restart to DOS mode...

Is it there, hidden? If hidden, can it be unhidden? We 98'ers, of course, probably all use DOS (I for sure do)...

It isn't hidden jasinwa. Hold the SHIFT key to show the other shutdown options like the Exit to DOS mode and the Restart option.

Hibernate works fine on my WinME system Tihiy. I even tested it from your shutdown menu and it worked as expected. Exit to DOS and Restart options do NOT work in WinME as those options do NOTHING in Windows ME. Those options do work correctly on Win98. The "restart Windows" tip of holding Shift and selecting Restart from the built-in shutdown dialog box in ME doesn't work in WinME but the tip isn't really needed because the PC is kinda fast.

Only other bug I found in Tihiy's shutdown dialog box is when I click on the minimize, maximize, or close button on a program window, the shutdown dialog box will close. The shutdown dialog box in WinXP does NOT let you click on anything BUT any of the shutdown options or the cancel button to close the shutdown dialog box.

I will give Tihiy's newer shutdown app a try.

yup, I had just checked it and saw that shift thing...

BUT, the productivity then is going backwards, not a good thing!

Currently in my 98 shutdown screen, I just click restart to dos.

Now I have to press a shift key then click....

Was this taken from another OS or written by Tihiy? If you wrote it, Tihiy, could you have all options on 1 screen so the user doesn't have to press additional keys?

thx...

It not an error... :w00t:

A feature, eh? :P

And why do you think that I'll just place them on 1 page? Requires more elegant solution.

I only thanked you for considering it!! Only since it seemed the easiest for 1 click operation..

yup, I had just checked it and saw that shift thing...

BUT, the productivity then is going backwards, not a good thing!

Currently in my 98 shutdown screen, I just click restart to dos.

Now I have to press a shift key then click....

Was this taken from another OS or written by Tihiy? If you wrote it, Tihiy, could you have all options on 1 screen so the user doesn't have to press additional keys?

thx...

yea I agree. All the shutdown options should all appear on one screen for better convenience.

The Standby option from Tihiy's shutdown dialog box did work correctly on my WinME ACPI-based machine [Pentium 3 (Celeron) CPU]. However that Standby option still did NOT work at all under the Win98fe and Win98se machines. Those two machines use APM 1.x, not ACPI (and are those dinosaur-aged Pentium one pcs). I'm removing shutdown.exe off those machines and revert to using the built-in W98 shutdown menu which the Standby option from the W98 shutdown menu work as expected. I'll keep shutdown.exe on my WinME machine though.

I might test shutdown.exe on my aunt's Dell computer (which does use ACPI for power management) and does use Win98 SE. I'll have to ask my aunt if I can come to her house next week.

Hm. If "Standby" option enabled (Is it enabled on non-ACPI systems?) and isn't working, please check if "powrprof.dll" is present in \windows\system. Don't bother yourself, i'll try to find a method to standby old systems.

• 2 weeks later...
erpdude8, stop crying like baby.

I find that comment VERY INSULTING, Tihiy!!!

It's MY CHOICE alone to continue OR discontinue use of your shutdown.exe app on some of the machines I've tested the shutdown dialog box on, so don't try to stop me.

The powrprof.dll file is NOT the problem. It's there in the Windows\System folder

on ALL my machines, including the older machines that I've tested.

ACPI-based systems use acpi.sys file to control power management features.

The acpi.sys file is not installed on machines using APM 1.x for power management. maybe if I extract the acpi.sys file from the Win98fe setup file and put it on the W98fe machine, the standby option from shutdown.exe might work.

That's just a theory though.

Still I prefer what jasinwa suggested in having ALL the options shown in the shutdown dialog box without having to use Shift to show the remaining options.

I believe what he was getting at was that he was asking others to try his application. If you did not wish to continue using it don't bash it, just stop using it. If you wish to give constructive criticism that's one thing, but don't bash it.

Hi Tihiy,

Looking good!!

Is there a way to hook in shutdown.exe to thestart menu button, so when I click the start button/shutsown, I get your proggie?

Beta test is over. All found bugs fixed. New shutdown dialog is present by default in Revolutions Pack since 2.5.

Please, do not bump old topics.