Win95 upgrade to WinME

KevCole

I have upgraded win95 to Win me, however in the process i have lost my modem driver a Garnet GTM53KH3 MODEM (Internal dial up modem). Any one know where I can pick up the modem driver? As ME does not have it in its database.

hi kev.

first off, doing a system "upgrade" is always a bad thing with the windows CD. it leaves junk files from your old system, misses out important bits, drivers fail to load or work file system problems, lost data issues, etc etc etc.

also, WinME is the buggiest version of windows ever, thats not just my opinion.. its a truth!

Anyway... does your Modem have an FCC mark on it?

take it out and have a look, you should notice either a sticker or mark printed on the circuit board next to the FCC logo. if it does jot down the number and the driver will be easy to find... in the mean time im off to hunt for it without the FCC number. be right back :)

ok i believe your modem is actually made by MIN Communications inc, in virginia. BUT they no longer provide support for that modem, im afraid your going to have to dig out that FCC number or find a site thats hosting some old drivers.

if you get the fcc number we can find an alternative driver for it.

ok I will...FCC number right? I will be home from work in 3 hrs so i will check it out then. The strange part in this is that i took the modem card out and switch it on and then off, replacing the card but ME had not even picked up the card was missing and then relaced. Oh well. :)

Let me get this straight. After upgrading to WinME your modem was not recognized. So you ...

Turned the PC off.

Removed the modem.

Turned the PC on.

WinME did not recognize the modem.

Well, that is because the modem was removed. Go to Hardware Device Manager and look at the modem category. Is there a exclamatin point beside the category? Right-click the modem category, if any, and select remove this device etc.

Shut down the PC. Put the modem back in the slot it originally came out of and make sure it is seated good. Look closely at the bottom of the card and make sure it runs even with the slot it is installed in. Cannot be higher on one end - it has to be properly seated.

Turn the PC on and let it boot normally.

WinME should detect a modem. Follow the prompts.

If WinME does not detect the modem go back to the Hardware Device Manager.

Right-click the modem category and select properties.

Select update driver.

If the correct driver is not found by Windows select "Find Manually".

Follow a few prompts and select the modem from a list.

Select generic 56K modem.

Windows may say this is not the best driver, but it may work. It will not harm the computer.

If all that does not work, provide FthrJack the FCC number, wait till FthrJack posts the driver if he can find it.

56K modems are cheap. I prefer Rockwell. Maybe you need to buy one. Hope not.

• 4 months later...

you are going to have a bugger of a time finding a WinME driver for that modem. Might be better off getting a new modem. As FthrJack has said - WinME is a buggy piece-o-crap and MS did a really bad job of getting good driver support. If you can find a windows 2000 driver - that might actually do the trick. Try Driver Guide - you have to join - but it is free - and I have been able to find quite a few drivers there.

ls_dragons