Reported Size Of Dotnet Framework

alexepascual

I understand the size of the DotNet Framework is under 100mb. But in the add/remove programs it appears as using 988.00MB.

Does ayone know why would this be so?

Does the Framework once installed really take that much space or is the Add/Remove programs reporting the wrong size?

I don't know either if that size is reported in my machine only or in all XP machines.

I'll appreciate any ideas.

-Alex-

Its probably a bad registry entry. Check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CB2F7EDD-9D1F-43C1-90FC-4F52EAE172A1} This should be the add/remove location for .Net. if that isnt it then fremove the {} and do a serarch for .net, and you will find the right entrie. In that area you will find another subkey, size, see if it is filled in. this might be why it has a wrong entry. If that isnt it do a registry search for the size you have listed and find out where it is getting that information.

Purewaveform:

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll follow your suggestions and see what I find.

I was also wondering what size is normally reported for the DotNet Framework in the Add/Remove software.

Suryad:

From what I understand, Microsoft has practically bet the whole company on .net .

Probably most programs today still run without the framework (unmanaged) , but I wonder how long that situation will last.

There are two reasons I don't want to remove the framework:

1) I have MS Visual Studio 2003

2) I wrote a program in Visual Basic.net that requires the framework.

About the acceptance of the framework, and it's present state in relation to other technologies, I'll initiate another thread for people to give their opinion.

Purewaveform,

I went to the regitry key you posted and it does in fact correspond to the .net framework v1.1.4322.

The estimate size line says 0x0000f5af (62895), which I would assume means 62.9 MB.

If it is from here that Add/Remove is supposed to get the size, then I guess it is not getting it right.

If this is just a failure to report the correct size and it doesn't have any other implications then I would not worry about it. There is always some curiosity to know why it is wrong, but I wouldn't spend too much time on it.

What worried me the most in the beguinning was the idea that maybe the framework was really taking that much space.

I agree .Net is going to become incredibly vital, especiall since they have removed everything not .Net from next years developer studios. But, still I wonder why the size reads wrong? Must be something? On my, .Net is actually slipstreamed, and reads no size, it is blank. Would be interesting to know why this happened, but in the end I think that you are correct, it isnt important.

Yeah I figured you had a M$ IDE on your machine. .NET is an exact copy of J2EE but just Windows centric whereas J2EE is language centric. Just seems to me that .NET is a huge bunch of bloat on top of XP that is why i never really went in that direction.

And yeah you are right in saying that .NET is going to be vital because all of Longhorn is based on .NET.

Yes, I do have Microsoft IDE, and about a dozen others, I do system development. I use Java where I can and then use Excelsior JET to compile the Java to a standard windows binary exe (for speed purposes) and then on other platforms just give them the jar files. and yes .net is just like java. but I also do a lot of porting from VB to .NET or Java etc. even through I dont particually like ms's IDE, I get paid really good.