How To ?

hello all, i have created a successful unattended xpsp2 cd. my only question is of course, how would i make the computer to auto shut down and restart? i am familiar with the old dos command of [shutdown -r -t00] how would i incorporate this into the unattended cd? thanks for reading and suggestions that you may offer :)

i am familiar with the old dos command of [shutdown -r -t00] how would i incorporate this into the unattended cd? thanks for reading and suggestions that you may offer :)

Add shutdown [options] to the last line your runonceex.cmd then after eveything is installed your can either reboot, logoff or shutdown.

I would be carefull not to shutdown to early. You need to put a decent enough timeout on the shutdown so that Windows can load correctly the first time (which if it doesn't can cause error later)

I use an over cautious 90 seconds. But I am usually away so it doesn't bother me.

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 90 -c "Restarting in 90 seconds"

The example page http://unattended.msfn.org/global/examples.htm has how to do it and how to call it from runonce etc. I personally would recommend setting it something around a minute. If you find that this isnt enough time, for example if using the driver packs, then hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and start a new process CMD, then you can type

shutdown -a

which will cancel the current shutdown. then you can time it to see how much longer you need to make it.

:P thank you very much for your help, all of you for your response and your suggestions, it worked and i am happy :P ps; if anyone has come up with a silent workaround for Microsoft Virtual PC service pack 1, please let me know. many thanks again :)