Any Program Became Standalone.

albator

Do you hate reinstalling software ? Do like me make them standalone. indeed In my site I track pure standalone application. But many software can be standalone with the registry trick: Ex:

Create Flashget.bat for Flashget

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGEDIT /S options.reg

start flashget.exe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for fans of firefox (the portable firefox version is only for usb key, so is not a standalone solution for Hd)

Create Firefox.bat for Firefox

----------------------------------------------------------------------

start E:\Firefox\firefox.exe -profile E:\Firefox\Mozilla\Firefox

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The -profile specify the path to you profile...

For more info go to my site... Especialy the tips section.

Please contribute or request application type or specific title...

I think he is talking about installing so the entire app is located under single subdirectory, not spread out in program files, registry, application data, local settings and everywhere else a typical app gets installed to, so you can back up the whole thing in one archive and move to any other computer.

I think it is a very good idea.

i don't think he's talking about that, and i couldn't understand from his examples

options.reg saves your information about default dl location, how many parts flashget should have, position etc, etc, flashget.exe i believe is the main program not the setup I guess

so assuming these are correct, appliying the options.reg and flashget.exe won't get u anywhere. even if the flashget.exe is the setup file u're not able to install flashget.exe without switches unless its scripted.

when do i need to parse the reg file everytime i want to open flashget?

standalone != reinstalling

and i assume u're not talking about unattendedly installing. so what r u talking about?

Where are you been ? :P You had missed the revolution !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

defintion:

Stand alone application: Application that can be run standalone, without prior installation ( windows registry, os related )

Advantage: Portable ( USB key, CD-ROM) or Permanent on a partition (not deleted or modified by windows re installation )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standalone, mean without Installation, Dont use program files directory !

My site is the result of a discusion here about pure standalone application like for example foxit pdf reader, it may be use on a usb key, or on a D: partition. If you reformat/reinstall windows (c: typical) The standalones application will not be touch. You never need to reinstall them since they use .ini or xml for settings...

But What I am talking about now is to 'convert' non standalone application to standalone ones ! Like I said got to my site ! Here an example:

Some application work minimally with registry,

but not for essential setting... In those cases I suggest you to try using a .bat to get a fully working application. Here how I did it:

1) Install the application normally. Adjust all settings as wanted. ( leechget in this example )

2) Export the registry setting, the whole branch. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cronosoft , in my case.

and save as options.reg.

3) Create a .bat to start the application with first the option.reg.

ex:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGEDIT /S options.reg // Restore registry setting

start LeechGet.exe //star program

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Use .bat to start application :)

I hope this is clear !

yes i knew what standalone meant, but i could not understand what u did, since u had said, "Do you hate reinstalling software ?",

so i thought u were installing, and i thought "where the heck's standalone in that..."

anyways G L