Regitry Reboot Loop After Install

After installing 20rc1 I get a blue screen on boot up saying it has detected an error in the registry and is restoring a prevoius registry to fix the problems. Then it reboots, blue reg screen again saying " You have restored a registry...rebooting". Rinse and repeat. etc etc etc. The system was working fine b4 the install of 20rc1 so if there are no fixes how do i restore to pre 20rc1?

Thx

Mike

i had same problem with 1.6.2 (that forum question is gone now even though i looked at it a few days ago...)

heres what worked for me...

i went into safe mode and ran either the sfn fix or scanreg cant remember for sure it was a few days ago actually it was the registry restorer for backed up files (.bak).... but this led to explorer crashing in the regular and safe mode before anything would run so i thought i was screwed.....

anyway

heres the fix to follow that up

Method 1: Repair Internet Explorer

1. Restart the computer to a command prompt:

• Insert the Windows 98 Emergency Startup disk in the floppy, and then start the computer.

-or-

• Press the CTRL key while you start the computer, and then select Command Prompt Only from the Windows Startup Menu.

2. At the command prompt, type edit c:\windows\system.ini, and then press the ENTER to open the System.ini file in MS-DOS Editor.

3. To navigate through MS-DOS Editor, use the arrow keys. Under the section labeled [boot], change the following line

shell=Explorer.exe

to:

shell=Progman.exe

4. Press ALT+F to scroll down to Exit, and then press ENTER. Select Yes to save the Windows\System.ini file, and to return to the command prompt.

5. Restart the computer. The operating system starts Program Manager.

6. On the File menu, click Run, type control appwiz.cpl, and then click OK to open the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box.

7. On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools, and then click Add/Remove.

8. Click the Repair Internet Explorer option, and then click OK. Complete the wizard to repair Internet Explorer, and when you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes.

9. Repeat steps 1 through 5, with the following exception: In step 3, change the line "shell=progman.exe" to "shell=explorer.exe".

10. If the error persists, follow the steps in Method 2.

fyi 1.6.2.-- internet explorer was 1.6 not 1.5 but run with it anyway- it worked for me

Studzz info was right on, but I had a real tuff one, and the link below tells how to bypass, and uninstall explorer. Of course mine reported the uninstall was damaged or missing, so in desperation I had a corporate win98 cd that I booted and ran thu the setup on and it fixed the existing win install w/o overwriting it.

Tools

if win starts.. SFC (system file checker)

if not scanreg /fix from dos boot

5starsupport

After installing 20rc1 I get a blue screen on boot up saying it has detected an error in the registry and is restoring a prevoius registry to fix the problems. Then it reboots, blue reg screen again saying " You have restored a registry...rebooting". Rinse and repeat. etc etc etc. The system was working fine b4 the install of 20rc1 so if there are no fixes how do i restore to pre 20rc1?

Thx

Mike

Could you check your C:\MSDOS.SYS file? It must contain "SystemReg=0" line...