How Small Can Xp Be

yonu

ok i am hoping someone can help me out how small can XP be made to only support USB, sound, videos, and wlan? I am hoping to get iut below 256 oh and windows media player

You can get it even smaller, but not directy on the media. Tools like litepc can get the install size down under 200M with full functionality. (with swap) Also if you really want to experiment then you can use something like XPe (downloadable) and build a custom image that runs exactly what you want for 20meg etc. If you use the downloaded version of XPe then you image / OS will expire in 90 days. Also, if you have specific requirments dont use XP, use 98 you can get a fully function 98 in like 30 meg. Most hardware items still have support for 98, so you shouldnt have too big a problem with hardware. Also with 98 you can get a boot time in seconds.

I looked at 98 and i was able to get it to around 175 but after i installed the stuff that the program i need required it was up to like 250 most of the stuff is in xp already

ok would it be possiblew to help me out I dowloaded the XPe from microsoft but it makes very little since to me is this what you are using or is there another embedding tool

The sizes that you guys are mentioning of the XP install...are they the numbers that are indicatng the amount of hard drive space used up after install or the install cd itself? Cause I got my Dell OEM CD to go down to around 130 mb with SP2 slipstreamed from a previous size of 550 mb with SP1a. However after it installs onto the hdd, the windows installation directory does go up to around 1.9 gb. Crazy how a 130 mb image can go up to 1.9 gb....

Yes it is just as I suspected...as mentioned in one of the articles of getting XP with SP1 down to a size of 185 mb was just the install size and not the size of the windows install after all is siad and done.

If I am wrong please feel free to correct me as I am quite curious about this.

Great for downloading XPe, it really isnt that bad to use, what you need to do is go to the support site, and download the video tutorials. Use a program that can capture the stream. Then this is what I did. I write thoes videos to a DVD (there are about 30) then I moved my tv next to my computer and went through all the tutorials. After about a day I was able to make a custom image. Now it takes me about 15 minutes to make an image and about an hour for each application that I want to put into the image. Maybe we would want to start a new thread for XPe. But you can get this tiny ~50 Meg with lots of functionality.

It will easily fit on a 64 meg card. Just remember to install the write filter, you dont want the swap file, and or HK to be on the stick. The sticks degrade much faster when they are constantly writen and rewriten. Also remember that you will not get it right on the first try, probably some application that you want will be missing a required dll or something. it took me seven tries to get Java fully functional under XPe and now it works like a charm.

good luck. if you have question just contact me.