Current_user Vs User

I have a question. As I'm going through a lot of registry tweaks (mostly from the Registry Tweaks thread) I see most tweaks use [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\...] and so on. Why doesn't most tweaks tweak [HKEY_USER\.DEFAULT\....] instead?

What I want to now - Does HKCU settings applied under installation (T-12/T-13) apply to all users?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER is the hive for the currently logged on user. During T-12 it's the system account so they're MOSTLY transfered to all accounts created there after.

HKEY_USER\.DEFAULT is the hive that is loaded when NO user is logged in. It's the one active during login screens and shutting down. Now, if you look at the HKEY_USER\SID-##### those are the hives of the users of the system. They're mapped to HKEY_CURRENT_USER when that user is logged in.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone can tell me what is implied by :

"they're MOSTLY transfered to all accounts created there after"

Any exemples of what is not transfered?

One thing that comes to mind is the damned desktop animation settings. No matter what I do I can *never* get those to stick for all users. I wish I knew where it was *originally* set in the Windows installation so I could adjust it even *before* install. **** thing ;)

Jason