Help Reinstall Xp

Dm0n

First off, greeting to everyone from the new newbie addition to this forum.

Okie, here is my problem.

I had decided to reformal my computer... But when I boot with my Window XP cd, I get an error saying:

'INF file tstsetup.sig is corrupt or missing, status 4096. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to esit.'

This error occurs when it is loading files after the hardware configuration. Is there anyway I could fix this or do I need to install from another CD? It'd be quite hard for me to get another one for a number of reasons... So I really hope someone could help me out. Even pointing out that I'll need a new one would help, al least I know where I'm working on.

Thanks.

Nice link drbadami. Hopefully Dm0n will be able to resolve his issue as quickly as that other user did.

To summarise the ideas put forth in that thread, I suggest checking, in the following order:

1. Your CD. Try putting it into another PC and see if you can locate and copy the txtsetup.sif file successfully
  2. Your RAM. A few posts in the other thread suggested that a faulty DIMM could be the cause of this error.
  3. Your hard drive. I got the impression that the error could also be caused by a failing hard drive that Windows Setup was having trouble writing to properly.
  4. Your CD ROM. Possibly the CD drive is failing and that is what is causing the problem.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on whether or not you can resolve your issue. :)

if your have more than one stick of RAM, which is quite common in new computers, then try ripping the one on slot 1 one and replacing it with another stick and see whether that works, and check all your other connections as well... if you really need pull your ram out and give the connections a good clean out...