Your Video Card Or Drivers Are Not Compatible

Why are you insisting in do all that long process for nothing? You can just change those 2 registry entries and have media center working! If you gave a better look at the .net disassembly you could see that it checks those registry keys in those 2 points and if you change them everything will work without touching the sources so your source changes are useless, really useless. Just use the registry keys and everything will go fine without dirtying up your windows installation with .net sdks.

If somebody is interested in the registry keys just give a look at the previous posts.

Francesco, that did indeed work to start Media Center without giving any errors. However, I cannot view any video in Media Center, be it live tv from my E-Home Wonder TV tuner or a regular video file. I can hear sound, but no video comes through. Seeing as you have the exact same video card as me (Radeon 7000 VE), I was wondering if you are experiencing the same problem. I may just have to break down and buy a new video card, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money. This is an extra computer that is using a spare TV tuner I had. My main computer with an up to date video card is running Media Center with no problem.

It's strange, it works fine, probably your radeon ve doesn't have enough video ram to have it running. You should consider upgrading.

You CAN upgrade from Windows XP Home/Professional Editions.

The problem you encounter in the Media Center Setup is common. When i installed Media center, when asking for the Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2, i put in my own Service Pack 2 cd foolishly, and then once that did not work i tried my other "XP Pro" cd (version 2002 no service pack). After many upgrades and formats i tried my media center disk 1 cd (as CD 2 was in the drive at the time of asking for Xp Pro with SP2. Sure enough that was the problem, a simple labelling error!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand how this is allowed to be posted? This thread documents hex editing files and circumventing built in operating system checks allowing you to install unlicensed software (warez).

This info was posted on an independent website for a good while. MS came down on the author and had it removed.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have tried following all of the above steps. So far, nothing has changed. Well, I tried what Francesco suggested, with the regitry key chage. This made the warning message disappear, but MCE turned black. Now, whenever I turn on MCE, it goes black, until I press ALT+F4 and return the Windows. Does anybody know about this issue?

An email would sure do good!

Thanks,

Niklas

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have a Nvidia GeForce4 420 Go with 32 MB memory, and installed de 36.48 drivers on XP MCE 2005.

When launching the Media Center Application I receive the error "Your video card or drivers are not compatible with Media Center". I already tryed to had on The Registry ..../MediaCenter/Video Settings the 2 keys, and the error disapear, but when launching videos the application starts fleeking and crashes the application.

Does anyone know what to do?

I also tryed to recompile the ehshell.exe but I get this error

D:\Documents and Settings\HOME\Desktop\BK>D:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\F

ramework\v2.0.50727\ilasm /resource:ehshell.res /exe ehshell.il

Microsoft ® .NET Framework IL Assembler. Version 2.0.50727.42

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Assembling '\exe.il' to EXE --> '\exe.exe'

Could not open \exe.il

Assembling 'ehshell.il' to EXE --> '\exe.exe'

Source file is ANSI

' in: // Image base: 0x03720000x error at token '' // ILONLY

***** FAILURE *****

thanx

9. Using the Open Command Window Here powertoy, open Command Prompt to your tempory directory. Type "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\(v1.1.4322 or v2.0.40607)" \ilasm /resource:ehshell.res /exe ehshell.il and press enter.

I tried that step and from the command prompt, F:\>"F:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\v1.1" \ilasm /resource:ehshell.res /exe ehshell.il

I receive this message:

'"F:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\v1.1"' is not recognized as an internal or

external command,

operable program or batch file.

I don't understand how this is allowed to be posted? This thread documents hex editing files and circumventing built in operating system checks allowing you to install unlicensed software (warez).

This info was posted on an independent website for a good while. MS came down on the author and had it removed.

This isn't an attempt to circumvent anti-copy protection! :realmad:

• 5 months later...

I have just purchased a Stealth S60 graphics card ("featuring Radeon 7000"), which has 64 MB of video memory. I put it into a computer running Windows MCE because the motherboard has an on-board graphics chip with no connector for my TV set.

I too am getting the "Your video card or drivers are not compatible with Media Center" message before the program will run (the "Not Desgined For Media Center" dialog box is already unticked). I tried Francesco's fix of adding DisableDxCheck and DisableDx9CapsCheck, but like niklasfin, when I did that and started Media Center, the screen went black (except for the cursor), and I had to press ALT+F4 to end the program.

I searched ATI's Customer Support (hah!) database for help, but this problem was not mentioned. No drivers for this card were shown either. I finally found a list of graphics cards that they recommend for MCE at http://www.ati.com/buy/promotions/mcesolutions/ and of course, my card isn't listed.

Has anyone found a way yet to get around this problem?

Only DirectX 9 cards are listed. That's why you have to add those registry keys. We run Media Center fine on a 7y old nVidia Riva TNT 16MB. That you get a black screen is not because of these registry keys but because of drivers. I don't really know haw to solve it but try the most recent drivers for XP but not the ones for XP Media Center Edition.

flupke wrote, "I don't really know haw to solve it but try the most recent drivers for XP but not the ones for XP Media Center Edition."

I added the 2 registry keys again, and then downloaded the latest Win XP driver (22.2 MB) on the Diamond Stealth driver page. It didn't help, and they haven't answered my email. The installation program changed my driver from 8.252.0.0, dated 5/3/2006, to 6.14.10.6525, dated 3/22/2005. The Media Center screen is still black.

The ATI Driver web site has past versions of CATALYST for Windows XP drivers from 5.1 to 6.8. Do I need to keep going back and trying the old drivers to see if they will work, or is there a simple way to accomplish this?

I can't see live TV or view previously recorded programs, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of having a MCE machine.

flupke wrote, "That you get a black screen is not because of these registry keys but because of drivers."

That is the part that I don't fully understand. I understand why adding "DisableDxCheck" and "DisableDx9CapsCheck" to the registry keys allows Windows MCE to believe believe the graphics card is compatible, but what is it about those values that turns a perfectly good TV screen black? Why is it that everything except the mouse pointer (which constantly flickers) disappears?

flupke wrote, "Only DirectX 9 cards are listed. That's why you have to add those registry keys."

I started searching other forums, to see if anyone anywhere might have a solution. At http://www.betaone.net/forum/archive/?t-13854.html I found the following:

"Also, the drivers probably MUST be DirectX 9 drivers. Run DXDIAG and check on the "Display" tab if it really says: "DDI Version: 9 (or higher)". If the number is lower than 9, your display driver is not a DirectX 9 driver."

Well, I ran DXDIAG, and not only does the Display tab say "DDI Version: 9 (or higher)", but the System tab says "DirectX Version: 9.0c". So that's not the problem, but it doesn't explain why I have to add the registry keys, and when I do, why the screen goes black.

And since the card has 64 MB of DDR memory, I shouldn't have to go through the 15 steps listed in the very 1st message, the purpose of which is to allow MCE to run on a 32 MB video card.

Still stumped ....