G6 Ftp Server

Ctwizzy

I have a copy of G6 (Gene6) FTP server 2.0 Final.

I have searched the forums, so if I missed this app somewhere im sorry.

Upon launching the exe I cant easily ID the installer. It says G6 installer by Gene6 © 1998-2001

So if anyone knows about this one please let me know. Or if someone can recommend a better easy to use FTP server.

FileZilla is a very powerful FTP server, and its free too. (gene6 is a very costly app, are you sure you actually bought it? ;))

Just google to get to the homepage of the filezilla project.

You just need to copy over files directly (which means you can extract unattended from a RAR SFX). And then at first run you can configure it or set it to be a windows service, or whatever....

Yup, Gene6 is the big brother of BPFTP.

It has all features similar, except that G6 also supports SSL'ed FTP. At this point of time, I doubt SSL has any use for you... Plus you may get caught for breaking the law.

Also, from your post it looks like your Gene6 is *VERY* old (year 2001).

So to prevent attacks and other problems, try moving to some other FTP app.

Thanks for the recommendations on other FTP servers.

The G6 is legitamate believe me. My dad is a contact programmer and was given a copy years ago so that he could retrieve files from home. Its old because he hasnt bothered paying for a new one, so I just use it.

If there are newer, better, free ones ill gladly use those instead. Ive used BulletProof before and found it to be too complicated for something as simple as a home ftp server for me and my friends to share files.

Thanks!!

I use G6's BulletProof FTP Server, which doesnt even need to be installed... just SFX the files and export the reg settings. Then extract your SFX and import your reg settings during your install...

also this way you wont need to reconfigure your shares / user accounts

Heres the reg entries you need:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BPFTP Server]
"instpath"="C:\\Internet\\G6 FTP Server"
"Key"=****"

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Gene6\G6 Ftp Server]
"Key"="****"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BPFTP Server]
"DisplayName"="BPFTP Server (remove only)"
"UninstallString"="\"C:\\Internet\\G6 FTP Server\\uninstall-bpftpd.exe\""

You just need to copy over files directly (which means you can extract unattended from a RAR SFX). And then at first run you can configure it or set it to be a windows service, or whatever....

I cant just do this? (using WPI)

%systemdrive%\install\FTP\FileZilla\FileZilla_2_2_12c_setup.exe /S

I also use this for Cerberus

%systemdrive%\install\FTP\Cerberus\CerberusInstall.msi /qb

I've been using BulletProof FTP Server since a long time.

It has all the features which one needs - account management, quotas, ratios, access rights, and best of all it uses ini files to store its settings.

You can find many addons of bpftp server on the net to further increase its functionality.

• 11 months later...