Question About The $oem$ Folders

This is one of a number of questions, but I wanna take this one step at a time.

If I want to back up my firefox, thunderbird, Azureus etc profiles, well the ones that reside in the "Documents and Settings\User\Application Data" folder. Can I just copy the folders into the $OEM$\$Docs folder and have them copied over during the windows install.

For example: If I set up XPCD\$OEM$\$Docs\UserName\Mozilla\Firefox , then copy over the information, would it be copied to the same folder after the install? So that all I have to do is set up an account with the same user name, and all my settings/saved passwords will be there with the new instalation of FF?

I'm well outside my limited bounds with this whole thing, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, just lookin for some insight.

No, this won't work.

If you make a $docs\username\ with use of the $OEM$ dir, this WILL make a

%systemdrive%\documents and settings\username dir.

However, if you make a local (or domain) user, the default user profile is copied to a unique dir using the username as dirname. This will become the users profile.

Since the username allready exists, it will be copied to a username.computername dir.

So the user won't have the $docs\username you created by using the $oem$ as his profile dir.

Hope this is usefull.

No, this won't work.

If you make a $docs\username\ with use of the $OEM$ dir, this WILL make a

%systemdrive%\documents and settings\username dir.

However, if you make a local (or domain) user, the default user profile is copied to a unique dir using the username as dirname. This will become the users profile.

Since the username allready exists, it will be copied to a username.computername dir.

So the user won't have the $docs\username you created by using the $oem$ as his profile dir.

Hope this is usefull.

Thanks for the reply, that's all I needed to know. I don't wanna make this too complicated becaues it's only for doing remasters on one pc every few months, so I don't wanna make it too difficult to keep the install up to date, just wanted to see if I could easily copy files over.