Rickshaw

I built myself a system yesterday.

It's got :-

AMD Athlon 64 3200 Winchester

DFI Socket 939 Ultra D

ATI HIS Excalibur x800xl

Geil Value RAM CAS 2.5

Samsung Spinpoint 160Gb

Now, the build went smoothly. I went into BIOS and set my CD ROM as primary boot drive. Now here comes the problems.

When I insert the Windows Disk in it loads up fine. But when it asks to press F6 for 3rd party SCSI/RAID drivers (for my SATA drive), I press it but nothing happens. It carried on with setup then says no HDD was detected. I know the button F6 does work because at one point, I had to press F6 to read the C.D.

Now what I don't get is why the hell isn't F6 working! F2 works for the other option but F6 I need!

I've tried two different motherboards

I've tried two versions of Windows. One without SP2 and the other is the same Windows but with SP2 slipstreamed

I've tried 1 stick of RAM

I've tried slipstreaming the nF4 SATA drivers BUT I don't know how to do that properly.

I've tried various other things.

Help me msfn, your my only hope.

Are you sure you're pressing it at the right point in the setup? As setup is starting there are a couple of prompts it goes through, which are displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Pressing F6 correctly will not do anything right away, once it has loaded necessary files you will be given the option of specifying additional devices, this is where you need to have a disk ready to load drivers from.

New types of keyboards usualy have a function-lock. Pressing this button will cause the function-keys to be active. (Default they are not).

I think this is a very irritating option.

But if F2 does work....hmm.

Do you use a standard windows CD (i.e. not unattended)?

After not detecting your harddisk, can you exit the setup using F3?

You could tell the bios to use the sata in legacy mode. (Most mainboards have that option). Or try another (PS2) keyboard.

• 8 years later...

Are you sure you're pressing it at the right point in the setup? As setup is starting there are a couple of prompts it goes through, which are displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Pressing F6 correctly will not do anything right away, once it has loaded necessary files you will be given the option of specifying additional devices, this is where you need to have a disk ready to load drivers from.

Thank you for this. It worked brilliantly.

• 2 years later...