Windows Time Syncronisation Problem

BoardBabe

I have problems getting windows time syncronisation to work. I get could not connect to time server or similar when trying to upate time through time.windows.com or the other standard time server in Windows.

I have a Norwegian windows XP, and am behind a NAT router.

I can not get NET TIME /SET in command to work either, (cant find timeserver).

(PS. this post's messages is translated from Norwegian Windows XP and may differ from the actual english messages)

If i try double click the tray icon for time, and at the internet-time tab hit the "Update now" button the status text will say: please wait while windows syncronises with time.windows.com. After 10-20sec it will say: An error has occured while syncronising with time.windows.com.

In the dropdown for time-servers i have:

time.windows.com

time.nist.gov

Same error occures on both servers.

I have also tried to update through command with the following command:

NET TIME /SET

this only reports: Could not find any time-server.

net time the way you are running it, needs an internal domain or server to sync with. If you have an internal server then you must specufy the computer name of the server to sync with. \\PDC

type:

net time help

Are you sure the Windows Time service is enabled & running (try manually stopping & starting to see if you get any warnings) and that you are at least a Power User to the machine? If have normal user access that is not enough to change the time.

Then try this... You may need to find a Time Server in Norway I do not know.

The syntax for w32tm & net time is

net time /setsntp:time.nist.gov

net time /querysntp

w32tm /resync

you must set the sntp server before running w32tm /resync.

the net time /querysntp will verify if you have one set.

are you getting any new errors with any of the given suggestions?

Thanks for helping me out here!

Still nothing though. Triedto restart the "Windows Time" service, but no errors. seems to run fine...

net time /setsntp:time.nist.gov

net time /querysntp

those work fine however w32tm /resync gives status for a while that it is "sending command and waiting for resync..." and then: "The computer was not resynced because no timedata was available".

This is what I have configured.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net time /querysntp

The current SNTP value is: time.nist.gov

The command completed successfully.

D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>w32tm /resync

Sending resync command to local computer...

The command completed successfully.

D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>w32tm /dumpreg

Value Name Value Type Value Data

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

Description REG_SZ Maintains date and time synchronization o

n all clients and servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and t

ime synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any servic

es that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

DisplayName REG_SZ Windows Time

ErrorControl REG_DWORD 1

Group REG_SZ

ImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Objectname REG_SZ LocalSystem

Type REG_DWORD 32

FailureActions <UNKNOWN REG TYPE> <UNPARSABLE REG DATA>

Start REG_DWORD 2

These are my reg settings for the time service try and compare yours with 'w32tm /dumpreg'. Other than that maybe a U.S. timeserver doesn't have your time on it. You might need a different server, I dunno.

w32tm /dumpreg gives the following output. (note some description in norwegian)

Verdinavn        Verditype           Verdidata
-------

Description      REG_SZ              Opprettholder synkronisering av dato og klo
kkeslett på alle klienter og servere i nettverket. Hvis denne tjenesten er stopp
et, vil synkronisering av dato og klokkslett være utilgjengelig. Hvis denne tjen
esten er deaktivert, vil enhver tjenesten som er avhengig av den, ikke kunne sta
rte.

DisplayName      REG_SZ              Windows Time
ErrorControl     REG_DWORD           1
Group            REG_SZ
ImagePath        REG_EXPAND_SZ       %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvc
s
Objectname       REG_SZ              LocalSystem
Start            REG_DWORD           2
Type             REG_DWORD           32

I've attached my .reg file for the Windows Time service. My Windows is installed on D:. You will have to edit the DLLName Keys which appear twice. Change D to C and if your Windows directory is not Windows fix that too. Make sure you backup your existing key in case there is a locality problem and you to switch back. If you need more specific instructions let me know.

WindowsTimeRegKeys.reg