A New Cd-switching Utility

Hi Nanaki,

Great idea as I'm trying to automate all my installations and don't have a DVD.

BUT... Sorry, there's a but, it looks like it's not working with me :(

1) Actually I use a laptop and my CD reader is external USB. If I run CDSwitch without the CD reader pluged, it fails immediately.

2) If I don't specify the CD letter (wich I usually don't know), it fails.

eg:

cdswitch "DELL_RESSOURCES" /g:LABEL

I made my personal, ugly, dos mode version of WAITCD, I'm gonna post it as soon as possible.

Hope my reports will help

Santiago

Could you run CDswitch with:

cdswitch "DELL_RESSOURCES" /g:LABEL /K

and post the contents of "c:\cdswitch.txt" afterwards? Also, please make sure that "/g:LABEL" is what you want. :) It will eject the drive wherein the disc labeled "LABEL" is.

Edited by Nanaki

Is there anyway of using this if the CD happens to have no label??

I've uploaded a version with a fix here. In my small tests, it worked with an empty label (still use double quotes "").

OK Nanaki, I got it.

As I don't know my driveletter, what I needed to do is :

cdswitch DELL_RESSOURCES 1

Ok, good to hear. :)

Edited by Nanaki

I've uploaded a version with a fix here. In my small tests, it worked with an empty label (still use double quotes "").

It detects the CD now but I can't seem to get it to do a custom label for the disc

cdswitch.exe "" X: /l:"IBM Director"

• 3 weeks later...

I now want to add the ability to search for a particular file on the CD to ensure the correct CD is inserted, since the CD I am using does not have a label.

The code I am using does not appear to be working for me. If I use a CD where the file does not exist it does not eject the disc.

cdswitch.exe "" /l:"IBM Director 5.20" /g:"X:\director\agent\windows\i386\FILES\dir5.20_agent_windows.exe"

or

cdswitch.exe "" X: /l:"IBM Director 5.20" /g:"X:\director\agent\windows\i386\FILES\dir5.20_agent_windows.exe"

Any ideas?

Alright, the stuff I'm about to say might not be fully correct, since I don't have the resources to test it and it's been a while since I've written this code.

First, if you want to EJECT the drive containing the disc with certain file:

cdswitch "" /f:"director\agent\windows\i386\FILES\dir5.20_agent_windows.exe" /l:"IBM Director 5.20"

Notice how "X:" is omitted from the path, "/f" works like this.

Second, you want to check the new disc for a file:

sorry, not possible, this required a major overhaul of the code for it to work properly. I might try and put it in quite soon (just for you :P), but first I need my laptop back for that. I'll try and see later today.

edit: try this one. I've found the disc I needed, so here's another new version.

Use this code:

cdswitch /f:"director\agent\windows\i386\FILES\dir5.20_agent_windows.exe" X: /l:"IBM Director 5.20"

Edited by Nanaki

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to use this on vista today.  Observations that i'd like to share:

1. Works on vista.

2. CDswitch searches for its specified file *ONLY* on optical media & not on HDD (i know i must have been daft to think otherwise :P)

3. It manages to catch the file & create entry (variable appears in registry), but %CDDRIVE% wont work on 64-bit windows until the current (logon) session is closed & restarted.

Nanaki, awesome utility this is!

Edited by prathapml

Hmmm.... Actually i thought it searches all drive letters. So I tried to make it search for a file on one of my partitions, just to test if it works on vista.

But after that, i tested using a virtual-drive and it was working fine.

In short, searching HDD while testing would be good, but not a priority.

Its good that it searches only optical drives. :)