A New Cd-switching Utility

great tool! thanks

i use this

%CDROM%\Apps\cdswitch.exe WINXP_2 /g:WINXP_1 /r:%CDROM%\Apps\WPI.cmd

when it during installation in vmware,.. the dialogue asking for the cd comes up but its all blank.. no image.. nothing on it ..just plain blan brown background

Might be VMware, although I haven't really had any problems with it. Try placing the attachment in the same folder as CDswitch, keep the name.

post-41127-1142869995_thumb.png

previously manytimes, i was also getting a blank window without the image or anything visible inside it, when cd is ejected. i was thinking why it was happening and assumed it might be due to graphics card and ignored it. but i was using runonceex not vmware.

Edited by rajesh.kumar

vmware is a virtual machine ..nothin to do wit runonce...

i havnt ried the image yet.. wat shud i name the image..

Call it "cdswitchback.gif". Also, make sure CDswitch is copied over to the hard disk before executing.

• 4 weeks later...

Help!

This is what I want to do.

I want the cd switch to ask for second cd when it is copying $OEM$ files to C:\ drive so it will copy the $1 file to the C: drive from cd 2 if anyone could tell me the best way to set that up that would be great.

thanks in advance

Thunderchero

If you're talking about copying files manually during text-based setup; that's impossible. You can however created self-extracting archives of the data, and then run those during T-12 or whatever.

• 1 month later...

hi nanaki, a really nice tool :thumbup

but i have a problem:

some of my disks contain a "&" in their label.

now cdswitch does not recognise that the disk is inserted.

here is my command:

cdswitch.exe "Apps & Tools" "' & $drive & '" /d /l:"Applications" /s:"' & @SystemDir & '\cdswitch.wav"

can you help me, please?

thx

t-o-m-m-y

Edited by t-o-m-m-y

I just tried with both 0.8.4 and 0.9a (don't use this one though) and it was able to detect a cd called "apps & tools" (it didn't appear correctly on screen though, but that's not really a problem, as you're using the /l-command).

I really should get the logging-system working properly, as now I can't really help you. :P But I'm pretty sure it's not a CDswitch-problem.

What happens when you run

cdswitch "Apps & Tools" D:

in a normal windows environment (change the drive letter to yours)? If it works, there's something wrong with your launch-code. What are you using to launch CDswitch? Also make sure the EXACT label of the disc is "Apps & Tools", not "apps & tools" or "Apps & tools".

Edited by Nanaki

:P But I'm pretty sure it's not a CDswitch-problem.

:thumbup Yes, you are right. It's my problem. :P

I have a real drive and 2 virtual drives. The env.-variable 'cddrive' targets a virtual, but i inserted the disk in the real drive. This happens. LOL

Thx to you, this is a real smart utility.

regards

t-o-m-m-y

Edited by t-o-m-m-y

• 1 month later...

Has anyone fixed the problem of the missing image?

I execute CDSwitch early in a RunOnceEx install and it's the only item that removes the welcome screen and reveals the RunOnceEx window.

I've found that this problem only occurs when cdswitch causes this screen switch. When I used to execute it mid way through an install I had no problems.

I've tried adding the cdswitchback.gif to system32 with cdswitch.exe and I've tried using the /p switch but neither fix this problem.

The only cure I can think of is executing a command before cdswitch to remove the welcome screen but I can''t find a useful command.

Has anyone got any suggestions or Nanaki, is there something that can be coded in to cdswitch to fix this problem.

If I find a solution myself I'll post it here but I'd appreciate some help.

Cheers

I have no idea what could be causing it. If "sleep blah" doesn't work, I'll try to compile another CDswitch-version, just for the heck of it.

Nevertheless, I don't have the infrastucture anymore to test CDswitch myself. I should create a new OEM-CD some time. :P

It would be a crying shame if you stopped dev on this, theres nothing else quite like it!

The problem here, as I see it, is that the graphic isn't integral enough to survive external interferance i.e. welcome screen change.

So, would it be possible to code a version with a pain text message box or atleast put in a switch for it. That way your using the code itself to create the box and everything in it.

This leeds me on to my other problem. I tried launch CDSwitch in silent mode but this always failed:

cdswitch /s /o Disc2 /g:Disc1

...what am I doing wrong?

I see the /s switch is also used for sound could this be conflicting?