A New Cd-switching Utility

@ totoymola: thanks, I have no clue what jollibee is tho :P But it looks cute ^^

:D Hehehe.. Well, just in case you're curious, it is the biggest fast food company in the Philippines. Believe it or not, McDonald's is no match when it comes to taste, and it is not even close when it comes to the average daily sales. :)

Edited by totoymola

Nanaki

I seem to be having issues with changing the image abck to its retro one....

i put the "cdswitchback.jpg" and cdswitch.ini files in my system 32 folder with cdswitch.exe but no change..... i also changed the file name in the cdswitch.ini to be cdswitchback.jpg....

any idea what i am doign wrong?

@totoymola: it's "Quick" reigning the hamburger-chain here. :) I only love fries tho, that's what Belgium is best at. ^^ (and beer, of course, thank god for beer)

@buzzman2005: what happens? The .INI-support will be improved in 0.9, but I thought it was good enough for this purpose anyway. :) Doesn't it work if you put the _exact_ contents of the ZIP in the same directory as cdswitch.exe? No renaming and such (the name "cdswitchback.jpg" may conflict). I'll look into this for version 0.9 though. Sorry for any problems.

Edited by Nanaki

• 2 weeks later...

SORRY FOR BEING SO NOOB BUT I'M HAVING A HARD TIME FIGURING OUT HOW THIS PRORAM WORKS. I'VE JUST CREATED MY OWN UA AND I NEED THIS PROGRAM AND ITS FEATURES VERY BADLY. HOPE SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN TO ME HOW TO USE THIS PROGRAM THE AY THINGS ARE EXPLAINED IN THE UNATTENDED PAGE. I'M USING THE BATCHFILE METHOD OF INSTALLING MY APPS. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

loybuckz, no need to shout at us.

by clicking start | run and typing

<pathtofilename>\cdswitch.exe /?

you will see a list of options.

The most simplist though is

<pathtofilename>\cdswitch.exe" nameof2ndcd cd-romdriveletter:

Nanaki, is their anyreason though why the above doesn't always work?

I use the above and it doesn't run the second cd, but if i insert anyway after building it does autorun, so this hasn't been disabled by accident in a tweak.

Cheers

SORRY FOR BEING SO NOOB BUT I'M HAVING A HARD TIME FIGURING OUT HOW THIS PRORAM WORKS. I'VE JUST CREATED MY OWN UA AND I NEED THIS PROGRAM AND ITS FEATURES VERY BADLY. HOPE SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN TO ME HOW TO USE THIS PROGRAM THE AY THINGS ARE EXPLAINED IN THE UNATTENDED PAGE. I'M USING THE BATCHFILE METHOD OF INSTALLING MY APPS. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

Well, oioldman explained the most part. You're using batchfiles, so this should be easy enough to figure out.

1. Make sure you're installing FROM CD, and you are not using the $OEM$-folders to first copy the installers to the harddrive.

2. Make sure cdswitch.exe is in $OEM$\$$\system32

3. When you do this you are probably using the %CDROM% variable, so now just forward it to CDswitch:

cdswitch LABEL_OF_SECOND_DISC %CDROM%

4. Now, when the correct disc is inserted, your batchfile will read from the second disc instead of the first.

5. Check out the helpfile or the parameter generator for more help.

Nanaki, is their anyreason though why the above doesn't always work?

I use the above and it doesn't run the second cd, but if i insert anyway after building it does autorun, so this hasn't been disabled by accident in a tweak.

Cheers

Could you be more specific what the problem is? I'm gonna do a routine-answer here: :)

1. Try to create a log-file. However, this feature isn't worth a lot right now, but maybe it gives some useful information.

2. Check the %ERRORLEVEL%-variable after executing CDswitch, it will tell you why CDswitch exited (look up the corresponding code in the helpfile).

3. Use the new version 0.8.2 which I'm about to upload, it fixes some problems with drives ejecting when they shouldn't.

Hello

I can't download cd swicth, link from #1 post died, anyone pls post a mirror

Thank

Works for me, sorry. I'm about to upload a new version anyway, so wait a few secs to try again.

EDIT= it's online.

0.8.2 (05-08)

- The disc-checking mechanism has been improved to fix reported problems

- Parameters are no longer loaded when the drive cannot be found

- Added *DRIVE*-variable to refer to the inserted drive

- The drive now ejects when the CDswitch-window spawns

- When no drives are found, CDswitch exits instead of an error

This 0.8-update solves the problems with drives ejecting when they shouldn't, or drives making funny sounds, ... A HUGE THANKS to MOONLIGHT SONATA for all his patient testing and help!

I also label this the first "stable" release, as I don't think a lot or any bugs are left.

A new feature is the variable *DRIVE*, for use with the "/r"-parameter. It simply fills in the detected drive, to make it easier to refer to it.

cdswitch Disc_One /g:Disc_Two /r:*DRIVE*\install.cmd

will launch "F:\install.cmd" when the detect drive is F:.

You can download it in the first post. When it gives a file not found error, refresh your cache.

Tnx. :)

Edited by Nanaki

@oioldman

sorry for the caps... i was not screamin. i just forgot to release the caps. BTW thanks for the imediate reply. =)

@nanaki

thanks for the reply. unfortunately... my pc here in the office is too slow so i guess ill just try it out when i get home. 1 last question... what should i do with the cd.txt file that was mentioned in the help file? should i have it on the root directory of the 2nd disk too? thanks in advance =)

1 more thing... regarding " %CDROM% " ==> is this a variable or do i have to enter this exact syntax.

Edited by loybuckz

Wow, I didn't even know I explained that in the helpfile. :P

No, just place CD.txt on the root of the first cd. Then with the supplied command you can assign the drive letter of the drive containing the disc containing CD.txt (still following?) to the variable %CDROM%, from which you use it in your batchfile to install the apps.

can you please explain further the %cdrom% command? or if you could post a sample of a batch file? anything that will make me understand this in the easeast way possible will b much appreciated. thanks in advance.

First, say the CD-drive you will be using is D:. I'll use that to make this example.

1. On your first disc, create a file called "CD.txt" on the root of the disc.

2. At the top of your batchfile, put this line of code:

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:

Now, the variable %CDROM% in that batchfile will be replaced by "D:".

3. Install your software as normally, referring to the CD-drive now:

echo Installing something from disc one...
start /wait %CDROM%\Applications\setup.exe /s

4. Now, when you have installed all the software from disc one, use CDswitch to switch to disc two. In Nero you can can choose the label of the disc, make sure it's different from the one from disc one. I'm gonna use "Disc_Two" for this example. Put this line in your code:

echo Switching discs
start /wait cdswitch Disc_Two %CDROM%

5. Now you can choose. Or you either continue this batchfile, or you launch a new one with the "/r"-parameter. I'm gonna explain the second one.

6. Instead of the previous cdswitch code, add the "/r" parameter. In this way, you can keep a batchfile per disc, making it easy to maintain your installations. Change the above code to this:

echo Switching discs
start /wait cdswitch Disc_Two %CDROM% /r:%CDROM%\Applications\Install.cmd

Now "D:\Applications\Install.cmd" from the second disc will be launched.

7. In this new batchfile, simply do the same as you did before. First detect the drive, then start your installations, now from disc two:

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:

echo Installing something from disc two...
start /wait %CDROM%\Applications\setup.exe /QN

echo Installing something from disc two...
start /wait %CDROM%\Applications\setup2.exe -S