Windows Activations On Xp Home

dice81

Ok ya'll i hope you know what to do in this sitch....

I have my parents computer which build from ground up, installed a OEM winXP home from Newegg.com. thats all well and good but i upgrade to SP2 and the activation screens keeps coming up, everything i restart. This is a totaly legal copy of XP Home...

With all that said does anyone have a clue what to do about this. I am moving out of my parents house tomorrow and i really dont want to explane to my non computer parents how to activate this stupid thing everything time they turn it on.

I have seen some other people talking about this in other forums but they did not know and Mickysoft does not have anything one it.

I have never had a problem with OEM COA for Home until now. And never had any kind of problem with PRO.

Thanks for your time

Dice :)

PS please dont bother if you suggest Cracks or Hacks, i dont do that Crap. Pay for what you use! Later DICE

You have two options....

1. Phone Microsoft Activation support.

2. Keep activating manually.

For some reason, XP thinks the hardware keeps changing or something, and so it deactivates. Calling MS might be the best option.

Also, anyone who even suggests cracks or linking to, will be banned instantly without warning.

Cool to know about that hackers...

But i wish there was another way to fix this than to call MS there a pain somethings. I wonder if i just do a repair install and see if it would take it then. well thanks for your time, if any one else has any comment or is having the some problem let me know.

Thanks for your time

Dice :)

Microsoft Support is great. They are always curious and helpful. You won't be speaking to some id*** kid when you call. You will be speaking to a true professional. It's a lot less painless than you might believe. Take that from someone who sat on hold for 9 hours just 2 days ago with them. I called them about a Server 2003 issue due to a crash though, that's why it took so long. Just be patient. You will probably be speaking to someone in India, but they are all curious and helpful.

I think we need to try and find out why your copt of XP wants to activate when you turn it on.

I know you can save two files which will stop the need for activating, thsi site will give you the steps to back up these files: - http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/43-p1.php.

I am presuming you have ran a full virus scan and ran adaware/spybot, etc, etc.

Are you definately sure that nothing has changed in your system??

Have you tried to restore from the restore CD's that came with the PC?? Backing up all essential data first of course.

I dont know if this is a hack or not, but if you frequently reinstall isnt there a way of saving this one particular file and that retains the install and activation info so you dont have to call MS?

I have run Symantec 9 corp, Bart Anti-virus, Adware Professional, Spybot, MS anti-spyware, Webroot Spysweeper, Hijackthis 1.99.1, uninstalled SP2 and reinstalled SP2, Restored to an earlier date, oh yeah and spyware Dr. Found a somethings here and there but nothing to fix this issue. If I unplug the computer when it is on it does not ask to activate it but then when you restart it asks you to.

Let me know if this helps or not.

Thanks for your time

Dice :D

• 3 weeks later...
I dont know if this is a hack or not, but if you frequently reinstall isnt there a way of saving this one particular file and that retains the install and activation info so you dont have to call MS?

No, it's not a hack. There is a file in your Windows directory called WPA.DBL that contains your activation information FOR THAT COMPUTER! Copy it somewhere safe before you wipe your system and reinstall. Once your system is reinstalled, copy the file back and Windows will pick up the activation info ASSUMING that the hardware config is the same or very similar (in order words, you haven't changed out the mobo or other major changes).