Service Pack 3

RBCC

like u mean that windows longhorn will be sp3 for xp?? first of all every new windows is new.... mean it comes with new features compare with the old one.so a new win can not be a service pack...... :blink:

As far as I understand it, they are still making Service Packs for Win2000, so its not an impossibility for there to be another service pack after Longhorn comes out.

I believe the topic starter is asking if Longhorn = WinXP SP3, in which case, NO! They may make a SP3 for WinXP, but Longhorn will NOT be WinXP SP3

• 2 weeks later...

They will make an SP3 is what I read...and they are going to have Avalon and Indigo compatible with XP...so I think I will be sticking with XP for a while...till the kinks in Longhorn get sorted out...though Longhorn looks extremely interesting...I want to see if it is actually more secure and faster than XP is.

• 2 weeks later...

From Pc Format

According to Microsoft Longhorn will be broadly available in 2006, which suggests an earlier rather that later in the year release. More importantly some of longhorn;s major features are being downgraded to work in WinXp. Surely there's no need to buy Longhorn anyway?

Well not quite the original plan for longhorn was that it was founded on 3 stupididly named but innovative technologies. Avalon, Indigo & WinFs. Ms claims the technology behind the first two will be released as an update for Xp at about the same time or even before longhorn is birthed. At 1st sight it's worth breaking out the party hats and telling aunite dorris the good news. Avalaon is behind the nifty 3D effects promised for the longhorn interface, considering we have had dedicated 3D cards since the mid 1990's about time to. Avalon isnt going to be a collection of spinning boxe, aye seering random particle effects and rendered goblin faces. It's more about transparencies, animations and the integration of 3D objects into windows. Still essentially 2D workspace. Examples is a 3D revolving bar chart in an office application it wont operate any differantly, but it'll look a whole lot better. A lot of these visual tricks are going to be plugged into the core Longhorn interface. Angled windows with an impression of depth nothing wholy revolutionary but from what weve seen of Longhorn beta's to-date. It does make windows look altogether modern for once. It's coming to Xp Yeehah!! No need to spend another £80 and waste your time on more product activation nonsence. Well yes infact there is although the Avalon system will be released for all blue and green it doesnt mean Xp will look like longhorn or be rejuvinated with 3D effects and a handy sidebar.

What about WinFs well you wont see it in the box with Longhorn. MS has pretty much admitted to have bitten of more than they can chew. So WinFs will be a free update to Longhorn somewhere down the line. Bah!! We can only presume that this lowering of the bar is becuase microsoft is licking it's ever growing wounds about windows security, it's only a couple of months since Service Pack 2 was released at the time of writing and already a staggering number of holes and flaws for the canny cracker or virus writer to exploit have been thrust forward into the disbeleiving eyes of the public. Lets remember that both the roman and british empire fell becoz there rulers tried to paper over the growing cracks. Microsoft had better be concentrating of ensuring it's security cracks are well and truly filled into, otherwise Longhorn could well be the start of MS's own decline.