?'s About Windows98se Installation....

Kelzy

Hey guys i JUST found your forum and so far LOVE it here !!!

I'm planning on reloading Windows 98se on my computer and just have a few questions about doing it.... My computer is a IBM Thinkpad Laptop 600, 266mhz processor, 96mb ram, 4gb hdd. The version of windows i have is Windows 98se (build 4.10.2222 A )

I got the 'unofficial' service pack ( from here (Thanks BTW) and also found IE6 sp1 (12.4mb download i believe) and office '97 pro ........ Is this everything i need to do a fresh install ? i knoticed on MS website that they have more security updates , do i need EVERYONE ofthem ?

Is there an 'order' i need to install everthing in ? i'm a newbie at all this so if someone would direct me on how to go about doing this please help me

and if someone could let me know if i have everything i need ........

do i need the .net framework? whats exactly does that do ? also do i need the directx 9.0c download ? what does THAT do also ?

I currently use Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1 instead of IE buti want the upgrades just to be safe ya know what i mean

Thanks i hope i didnt miss anything , if i did let me know what else i need :)

I got the 'unofficial' service pack ( from here (Thanks BTW)

Did you get 2.0 RC2? It's the newest.

i knoticed on MS website that they have more security updates

SP 2.0 RC2 has everything you need for Win 98 SE. If it doesn't have a certain patch it's probably because that patch causes more bugs or is just worthless.

You should still go to Windows update to get IE 6 security updates though.

Is there an 'order' i need to install everthing in ?

It doesn't matter much but this is good:

1. 98 SE

2. IE6 SP 1

3. DirectX

4. Drivers

5. Unoffical SP 2.0

6. Everything else

and if someone could let me know if i have everything i need ........

If you have Windows ME CD then also get 98SE2ME.exe to install upgraded ME files on top of your 98 SE installation.

do i need the .net framework? whats exactly does that do ?

Some new programs need this to run. Kind of like how some programs need VB6 libraries. Version 1.1 is all you need and there is also a SP for it. There is also a 2.0 Beta but I don't use it. Or you can just not get any of it.

also do i need the directx 9.0c download ? what does THAT do also ?

Tons of games need DX. It is mostly a graphics and sound library. Get 9.0c because it has security fixes.

Did you get 2.0 RC2? It's the newest.
Yes just got it thanks ....

I downloaded IE6 SP1 aready , is that what you mean ? i do see thou that once you've got IE6 sp1 installed that there are some other security updates, do i also need those too or jjust ONLY IE6 SP1 ? (99% of the time i am using firefox)

If you have Windows ME CD then also get 98SE2ME.exe to install upgraded ME files on top of your 98 SE installation.

Please explain alittle more here , whats 98SE2ME.exe do ? Isnt this bascially just upgrading to Windows ME ?

I also download the generic USB drivers from Gape's post ...found herein this post http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=41684

......... do i need them ?

Thanks azagahl !!! :D

I downloaded IE6 SP1 aready , is that what you mean ? i do see thou that once you've got IE6 sp1 installed that there are some other security updates, do i also need those too or jjust ONLY IE6 SP1 ? (99% of the time i am using firefox)

Hi,

Yes - you need all updates that apply to the optional components, such as DX9 and IE6SP1/OE6SP1 that you install yourself. ;)

Please explain alittle more here , whats 98SE2ME.exe do ? Isnt this bascially just upgrading to Windows ME ?

My understanding is that 98SE2ME gives you all the good parts from ME; but without the bad parts such as reduced performance, System Restore bloat, and trying to pretend DOS isn't there.

I also download the generic USB drivers from Gape's post ...found herein this post http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=41684

......... do i need them ?

I think this is so you can insert generic USB hard drives into your PC and have them work automatically. I've not tried it as I usually just install the drivers that come with my hardware.

BTW, watch out for this bug if you use Win 98 SE and IE 6 SP 1: when you delete a large number of files in Explorer, your system resources will leak away. This will cause huge slowdowns and crashes. Try deleting 1000 files and you will probably see the bug. The best fix for this bug is to install the old BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.dll from IE 5.5 into your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. I am not sure where the best place to get these from is.

windows Me and windows Me PRO

Never heard of ME Pro, maybe you mean ME OEM?

Me Full and Me OEM are basically the same - as long as it is the English version it should be suitable for installing 98SE2ME.