Optimize Windows For Playing Games

angadsingh007

Game XP is intended to optimize the performance of your computer for gaming needs. It tweaks and modifies various XP settings (cache settings, CPU priority etc.) and optionally disables or stops several Windows services that are usually not needed. The program does not require any installation, and does not need to be running at all times. Game XP extends your operating system's capabilities and makes Windows faster and comfortable for maximum gaming experience.

Download Page : http://www.theorica.net/download.htm

Direct Download : http://www.theorica.net/download/GameXP.zip

I can officially confirm you get what you pay for with this programme: Nothing. The only things I noticed it do were disable some of the settings within Windows Explorer, which hardly accomodates for 'Maximum Gaming Performance'.

Sure it may have disabled certain background services, but I think a good number of people on the MSFN forums would do that themselves anyway with the aid of nLite.

I tested it with Quake 3, Enemy Territory and RTCW, Quake 3 engine based games I've found make perfect benchmark tools where gaming is concerned. Not one bit of difference was made, to game speed, loading times, anything.

I'd be keen for other people to try this out and post their results but this didn't do a **** thing for me. Mind you, I didn't really expect it to either.

First of all its a free tool.

Secondly, apart from tweaking windows explorer and disabling system services, it also

-adjusts Direct3D and OpenGL settings

-optimizes system boot time

-tweaks some tcpip settings (we all know which ones ;) )

-disables balloon tips (irritating for gamers)

-fixes video card settings

-optimizes cd-rom drive

-tweaks ntfs

-fixes windows 9x/me processor cache problem ( which has to be otherwise fixed manually )

-optimizes Internet Explorer

-fixes some other bugs in windows..

Well, its all about tweaking Windows to run faster for Games, so it won't show much effect on systems which are already very fast.

Look, if it does a dozen and a half things, that's awesome. However, if you don't notice a big difference in your gaming experience than it's not worth a ****. Disabling services, eh? I use nLite.

First of all its a free tool.

Secondly, apart from tweaking windows explorer and disabling system services, it also

-adjusts Direct3D and OpenGL settings

-optimizes system boot time

-tweaks some tcpip settings (we all know which ones ;) )

-disables balloon tips (irritating for gamers)

-fixes video card settings

-optimizes cd-rom drive

-tweaks ntfs

-fixes windows 9x/me processor cache problem ( which has to be otherwise fixed manually )

-optimizes Internet Explorer

-fixes some other bugs in windows..

Well, its all about tweaking Windows to run faster for Games, so it won't show much effect on systems which are already very fast.

Free, yay. If its worthless than so what?

Wouldn't Direct3D and OpenGL settings be slightly different for each game you play?

TCP/IP, what does this have to do with gaming? Online gaming, sure...

Balloon Tips, disabled already

Fixes videocard settings.. "fixes"? All videocards have something to fix???

Optimizes CD-ROM. Now this is getting really picky... what... a millisecond faster of recognising content on the CD?

Tweaks NTFS... uhm... ?

Fixes Win9x/Me Process Cache Problem, I use XP Home.

Optimizes IE? Why bother, the browses is garbage. I use Firefox.

Fixes other bugs in Windows? So does SP2.

P4 3.0 GHz, 512 PC3200 DDR, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, 111 GB HD, nLited.

I know nLite is an awesome program and all (I use it), but it's not a tool for disabling services (unless it's changed massively in the past few minor point releases.)... but removing them completely. At install-time. Which means you have to reinstall your OS to do it. Which means... you don't spend time playing games. Or doing work.

So really, the answer is "That's why we have services.msc" ;)

OR before you make your nLite ISO you make a registry file with the Services configured and place it in your $OEM$ folder along with the necessary comment put in cmdlines.txt and then make your ISO... than you don't have to configure your Services afterwards. I have 6 that I have on usually. The rest is stopped or disabled.

i noticed it also said for win 9x/me systems, Not being funny or anything (well B) ) but i don't recall nlite working for other than NT5 +? :whistle:

i'm guessing for older computers with less memory its actually quite a good thing, most people i know who play games are people who don't know much about computers, and get scared when i open regedit and delete things that startup with the computer, poor souls, i've almost been attacked by (i'll not say who incase they figured out how to use internet explorer yet!) parents (well, farther) before when they asked me if i could speed it up, and then they replied with 'NO DON'T DO THAT YOU FOOL IT WILL NEVER WORK AGAIN!' (well more colourful langage but still i learned my lesson, never try and explain things to people who 'know' about computers, i did almost think about trying to explain to him that a 2gig connection wasn't what 2mb adsl ment, but he was very adiment about this, he also believed downloading sp2 ment it was a whole new os)

anyway my point was, that a nice program that claims to do this even if it can all be done manually easier, is better for people who believe they know everything, and those who are to scared to do it themselves

another good one was with a ex girlfriend, they had an old P75 running NT4, and i was defragging the drive, and her mother gave me a huge row insisting you could not defrag it, luckily i have a lot of patience or the keyboard would of been snapped over her head, very very very stubborn woman she was.

yes so now i've done a huge rant! wohaaay!!! sorry! but i feel a lot better now :thumbup

• 4 weeks later...

Unless you're talking about the L2 cache, that's *not* the processor cache. It's for setting a limit for the Vcache disk caching to 512 MB or less. Windows 9x has a bug in the disk caching system of sometimes causing more RAM to be used then it's supposed to by a lot.