2.0 Rc2

Gape

2.0 RC2

Softpedia

RapidShare

Fileforum

(15.4 MB)

What's new in RC2?

- ADDED: 2 new hot-fixes (192425, 246817).

- ADDED: All cosmetic enhancements of SP 1.6 such as Windows 2000 Desktop Icons. (Sorry, but they are not optional).

- FIXED: Lots of bugs are fixed. (MaxCachedIcons typo bug, %DosNameHere" bug, Verinst.exe uninstallation bug, 256-color tray icons bug, Notepad patching on Sleek bug, Executing SP from different drive bug.)

- REMOVED: General USB Mass Storage Device Drivers. (I recommend a much better generic drivers: http://rapidshare.de/files-en/516500/nusb20e.exe.html. My drivers doesn't support some devices and it has some bugs, we have a good alternative, so I removed it.)

Edited by Gape

2.0 RC2

http://rapidshare.de/files/902981/sesp20rc2.exe.html

(15.4 MB)

DanyBoss and MDGx, can you update your mirrors?

What's new in RC2?

- ADDED: 2 new hot-fixes (192425, 246817).

- ADDED: All cosmetic enhancements of SP 1.6 such as Windows 2000 Desktop Icons. (Sorry, but they are not optional).

- FIXED: Lots of bugs are fixed. (MaxCachedIcons typo bug, %DosNameHere" bug, Verinst.exe uninstallation bug, 256-color tray icons bug, Notepad patching on Sleek bug, Executing SP from different drive bug.)

- REMOVED: General USB Mass Storage Device Drivers. (I recommend a much better generic drivers: http://rapidshare.de/files-en/516500/nusb20e.exe.html. My drivers doesn't support some devices and it has some bugs, we have a good alternative, so I removed it.)

Now, I completely freeze the 2.0... I will not add any new hot-fix, or feature. I will only fix bugs, if we find.

Note that: erpdude8, New keyb.com update will be in the 2.1.

When you update with RC2, do you need to rerun 98SE2ME to have latest files

on 98SE2ME?

When you update with RC2, do you need to rerun 98SE2ME to have latest files

on 98SE2ME?

No, if you already installed 98SE2ME you already have newest files.

SP 2.0 RC2 should add a couple of new updates compared to RC1:

Q192425 + Q246817 = 98SE2ME does not install those.

98SE2ME should NOT interfere with SP 2.0 [any edition].

Here are all files replaced by 98SE2ME that are installed by SP 2.0 [excerpt fom READ1ST.TXT]:

All these Win98 SE system files installed by Gape's SP 2.0 are REPLACED by

98SE2ME.BAT with IDENTICAL, SAME, NEWER (if NOT specified below) and/or

PATCHED versions [this may change in future releases]:

VIP.386 [Win98 SE Q??????? 4.10.2227 hotfix] = NOT replaced IF newest build

VTCP.386 [identical file = Win98 SE Q236926 hotfix] = NOT replaced IF newest

build

POWERCFG.CPL [WinME Setup CAB]

SYSDM.CPL [WinME Setup CAB]

TIMEDATE.CPL [WinME Setup CAB]

COMDLG32.DLL [98SE2ME.BAT option 3 ONLY = WinME Setup CAB]

GDI32.DLL [WinME Setup CAB]

MPRSERV.DLL [WinME Setup CAB]

MSAFD.DLL [WinME Setup CAB]

MSJET35.DLL [same build = WinME Setup CAB]

MSNP32.DLL [WinME Setup CAB]

MSREPL35.DLL [same build = WinME Setup CAB]

MSVCIRT.DLL [identical file = WinME Setup CAB]

MSWSOSP.DLL [WinME Setup CAB]

OLE32.DLL [same build = WinME Setup CAB]

OLECNV32.DLL [WinME Setup CAB]

OLETHK32.DLL [WinME Setup CAB]

RPCRT4.DLL [identical file = Win98 SE Q269874 hotfix] = NOT replaced IF newest

build

SHELL32.DLL [98SE2ME.BAT option 3 ONLY = WinME Setup CAB]

SPOOLSS.DLL [WinME Setup CAB]

USER32.DLL [WinME Q280800 hotfix] = NOT replaced IF newest build

WINMM.DLL [WinME Setup CAB]

WLDAP32.DLL [identical file = WinME Setup CAB]

DLLHOST.EXE [same build = WinME Setup CAB]

EXPLORER.EXE [identical file = Win98 SE Dr. Hoiby 256 colors fix] = NOT

replaced IF newest build

EXPLORER.EXE [98SE2ME.BAT option 3 ONLY = WinME Setup CAB]

EXTRAC32.EXE [WinXP SP2] = NOT replaced IF newest build

GDI.EXE [WinME Setup CAB]

GRPCONV.EXE [same build = WinME Setup CAB] = NOT replaced IF newest build

MSCONFIG.EXE [Tihiy fix = WinME Setup CAB]

NOTEPAD.EXE [PFE = better Notepad replacement]

REGSVR32.EXE [identical file = Win2000]

TELNET.EXE [WinME Setup CAB]

USER.EXE [WinME Q280800 hotfix] = NOT replaced IF newest build

NTMAPHLP.PDR [WinME Setup CAB]

1394BUS.SYS [WinME Setup CAB]

HIDCLASS.SYS [WinME Setup CAB]

LOGO.SYS [animated Blue Windows boot Logo]

KMIXER.SYS [WinME Q280127 hotfix] = NOT replaced IF newest build

NTMAP.SYS [WinME Setup CAB]

OHCI1394.SYS [WinME Q252185 hotfix] = NOT replaced IF newest build

OPENHCI.SYS [WinME Setup CAB]

PORTCLS.SYS [WinME Setup CAB]

SBEMUL.SYS [WinME Setup CAB]

SBP2PORT.SYS [WinME Setup CAB]

UHCD.SYS [WinME Setup CAB]

USBD.SYS [WinME Setup CAB]

USBHUB.SYS [WinME Setup CAB]

PPPMAC.VXD [WinME Setup CAB]

Therefore I STRONGLY RECOMMEND to:

1. Install Gape's SP 2.0 BEFORE 98SE2ME.BAT.

2. Allow 98SE2ME.BAT to BACKUP your ENTIRE ORIGINAL Win98 SE OS (if you

haven't already) RIGHT AFTER selecting option 1 or option 2 to be able to

RESTORE your original OS by running C:\9!M\98RESTOR.BAT in case you

experience errors/lockups AFTER installing the WinME system files.

Nice work Gape, and thanks for the mirror MDGx

I'll get this bad boy tested tonight.

Ah so 256 colour tray was bust, that explains it.

I was having problems with msvcrt before, but that may have been the mess I made installing it :blushing:

Nice work Gape, and thanks for the mirror MDGx

I'll get this bad boy tested tonight.

Ah so 256 colour tray was bust, that explains it.

I was having problems with msvcrt before, but that may have been the mess I made installing it  :blushing:

I really dislike the new VB runtimes that are called .Net framework.. Even on win xp I ocasionally have had problems with msvcrt and msvcpxx.dll... They got rid of one evil for another..

@Gape.. Good work.. I can say I certainly dont mind the forced 2000 icons and theme.. For a very long time now I was always isntalling 1.6.2 before 2.0 betas just for the new icons and theme. :thumbup

@Mirror hosts

Thank you all for making it easier to get this great addon/update for 98 SE.

Ok, after about an hour fighting with scandisk, I got to install win98, why cant it leave things that dont concern it alone!? It actually created the errors it invented and 'fixed' according to the windows version, as well deleting everything on one partition, which windows scandisk brought back with short filenames. Well I know to hide all partions from it now.

Anyway.....

The same problem/annoyance as RC1 at the end of the installation it prompts for restart, then says it cant close the dos window, so I cancel, the dos window says something about a missing batch file (post?) and then prompts for restart again.

windows2k colours, have they been removed?

No boot logo, the only time I saw it was the first time when installed RC1 from CD, then I saw it just before windows reset itself, it wasn't 'animated' though.

Are the desktop icons only recycle bin and my computer?

No other immediate problems.

Ok, after about an hour fighting with scandisk, I got to install win98, why cant it leave things that dont concern it alone!? It actually created the errors it invented and 'fixed' according to the windows version, as well deleting everything on one partition, which windows scandisk brought back with short filenames. Well I know to hide all partions from it now.

Anyway.....

The same problem/annoyance as RC1 at the end of the installation it prompts for restart, then says it cant close the dos window, so I cancel, the dos window says something about a missing batch file (post?) and then prompts for restart again.

No boot logo, the only time I saw it was the first time when installed RC1 from CD, then I saw it just before windows reset itself, it wasn't 'animated' though.

Are the desktop icons only recycle bin and my computer?

No other immediate problems.

Oh yeah.. Foregot the restart bug.. I had it happen in RC1 the few times I tested it.. One of the isntallers/update still asks to restart befoer the entire service pack is installed. If you do click yes restart.. Parts of the service pack do not get isntalled. I have gotten to use to it asking early and always click no as I notice some more batch files starting to run in the background..

bilemke, do you know if choosing 'no' is different to choosing 'yes'>'cancel', perhaps that is where my missing colour scheme and logo have gone?

Oh and whatever was wrong last time with msvcrt seems to be gone, k-lite works and it didn't before.

Perhaps.. All I know.. some thigs do not get isntalled if it restarts.. no/cancle should do the same thing.. It is is just a isntaller asking to restart.. As long as it doesnt restart I beleive the others will start.. Usually they are already starting to run behind the Restart dialog when I am about to click on NO. basically.. Just click NO.. Then all should be good. The themes I assume are getting installed.. Will have to test once without installing the old 1.6.2 version of the service pack before hand.

is there any reason why shell32.dll exists twice in "supp" and "sp2" folder?

Sp2's shell32.dll is not modified, it is for 98lite Sleek and slipstreaming. Supp's shell32.dll is our old friend (from SP 1.6), it is modified for icons.

OK, I hope I will fix "restart prompt" problem soon. Win2K colours and boot logo should not be installed because of this problem.

OK, I hope I will fix "restart prompt" problem soon. Win2K colours and boot logo should not be installed because of this problem.

Cool :thumbup

I am very sorry I didnt mention this earlier.. As I mentioned after seeing mitsubishi 's post, I had this occur in RC1 too.. I should have mentioned it earlier.

I hate obscure versions of msvcrt like 6.10.xxxx which came from IE6, which you didn't want to support. Include real msvcrt 6.0SP6, please. Include all of it, please, not just 3 out of 10 or so files. Do you want vcredist.exe?