Inserting Service Pack 2 Cd !

Tryphon

Hi,

I use CDSHELL for multi boots on a DVD. I have prepared all needed files for installing Windows XP Pro + SP2 : boot install in \PRO1\, ALL Windows+SP2 files, directories and sub-directories in \setup\winxppro\, PRO1.DAT, win51, win51ip and win51ip.sp2 in the root of a CDRW.

The install process is ok from the boot to the first restart.

After Windows starting from HD, a window ask me to insert the CD of service pack 2 to achieve 'asms' directory.

Default path was X:\i386

I can give it the good path : X:\setup\winxppro\i386 so it pursues the installation until the next window claiming the same CD, and so on...

What's happening ?

If I have correctly modified TXTSETUP.SIF file ? Yes : SetupSourcePath = "\setup\winxppro\"

Missing Win51, Win51ip or Win51ip.sp2 in the root or in \setup\winxppro\ ? No, all these files are in their good place.

So what ? Is there another reason for Windows Install unable to keep in memory the SetupSourcePath after the first reboot ?

If someone have a solution or the smallest piece of the solution I would become the happiest newbie after the 60th test !

Thank.

I don't think it applies in my situation. Win51*.* are right on the disk.

How many optical drives have you got on your computer ?

When you install an OS, do you keep the multiboot DVD in the drive during the first restart or not ?

Do you use CDShell software for the menu boot ?

Thank for your help.

Yes, I enter the true path and Setup finds 'asms' ...

Since I have posted the first message, here I describe what I have found.

For example, Setup CD is in drive I:. Setup launches installation ... all is right. Setup achieve the first reboot and Setup CD is in the drive. After rebooting, CDSHELL starts. I do nothing and CDSHELL boots the first HD. XP Setup continues. A window appears : Insert Service Pack 2 CD ... When I press OK, default path is I:\i386. As I said before, files are in I:\setup\winxppro\i386 although SetupSourcePath = "\setup\winxppro\" in I:\PRO1\txtsetup.sif and Win51, Win51ip, Win51ip.sp2 are in I:\ and I:\setup\winxppro\. So it is an undocumented problem.

Other test I made. Before the first restart of Windows XP pro Setup, I eject the CD. Then the system reboots and setup continues. But this time, Setup asks SP2 files (first is 'asms' directory) in J:\setup\winxppro\i386. Surprise ! Path is good but drive letter is bad. If I insert the Setup CD in J: (not in I:), Setup continues to the end of the installation.

Conclusion : the presence of the CD during the first reboot generates the default path as I:\i386 but without it this path is J:\setup\winxppro\i386.

Why ? I don't know. How can I eliminate the variation of the default path ? I don't know.

My computer have a SCSI DVD drive and a IDE DVD burner.

Any idea ?

Can someone having two optical drives (or more) tell me if his multiboot CD/DVD hasn't this issue installing Windows XP Pro + SP2 (or Windows 2000 + SP4 or Windows 2003) ?

Thank.

Thank for the reply. 'ASMS' directory is not a problem, I just mention it to illustrate that Windows Setup asks files from a Service Pack CD (because default path in Setup Windows is \i386 although SetupSourcePath = "\setup\winxppro\" when I keep the multiboot DVD in the drive).

When I eject multiboot DVD during the first reboot of installation setup, default path in Windows setup is \setup\winxpro\ but drive letter is wrong so I have to introduce the multiboot DVD in another drive to continue the installation.

Sorry for my heavy explanations. I'm not very good at English.

I notice that you have multiple optical drives. I would to ask you another things :

1) Do you keep the multiboot DVD during all the time of the Windows installation process ?

2) Do you use CDSHELL to manage the multiboot ? If not, what soft do you have ?

Thank.

Thank for the clarification. To illustrate your lesson on an example, suppose your DVD driver labeled D:. On your multiboot DVD, WinXPProSP2 files are in \setup\winxppro.

During all the setup process, Windows Setup finds the Windows files in D:\setup\winxppro\i386 (setup path) unless it can't find one so the default path is D:\i386 (but we know your own DVD is ok and you haven't this trouble).

Here my situation. In the best of my knowledge, all necessary Windows setup files are on my multiboot DVD (entire original Windows xp pro + integrated SP2 in \setup\winxppro\, Win51, Win51ip, Win51ip.sp2 in the DVD root and in \setup\winxppro\, SetupSourcePath = "\setup\winxppro\" in \pro1\txtsetup.sif and no unattend.txt or winnt.sif file) :

From the first boot to the first restart of the Windows setup process, all is ok : files are found in D:\pro1\ and D:\setup\winxppro\. So I suppose the default path is D:\setup\winxppro. When the first Setup restart is done (multiboot DVD keeped in the optical drive), Setup continues a brief moment and stops asking to insert the Service Pack 2 CD. When I press OK, a window box propose to enter a new path which is by default : D:\i386.

Learning from your last post, I deduce that there are missing files in my multiboot DVD. The first file claimed by Windows setup in ASMS directory. After checking, ASMS is in D:\setup\winxppro\i386 and it is not empty. If I enter D:\setup\winxppro\i386 in the window box 'Insert the SP2 CD ...', Windows setup continues. If ASMS is effectively missing, corrupt or in the case of a DVD filesystem error, Windows setup can't continue until I enter the good path of a non corrupt media. Therefore, it is a contradiction : Windows setup reacts as if D:\setup\winxppro\i386\ASMS is missing, it asks this directory in the default path D:\i386 and it continues the installation when I enter D:\setup\winxppro\i386 in the windows box !! (I recall you that Win51*.* files are in D:\ and D:\setup\winxppro\)

This situation is repeated for a lot of other files until the end of the process, but all these files are on the multiboot disk. The produced Windows OS is functional.

I have tested this with two computers: two different hardware configurations. I have rebuilt the multiboot DVD several times on a DVD-RW disk reading again and again the page http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/xpprosp1.htm.

I don't know what to do now.

• 5 months later...

I made multi boot CD using EasyBoot cd/dvd menu creating program

i made xp sp1, sp2 -pro & home without any prblms

i created the PRO1 folder from winnt32 /noreboot

and edited the tctsetup.sif, replaced "\" with "\xppro\" for pro and "\xphome\" for home

i kept the booting folders containg various TXTSETUP.SIF for each version in the root of the CD (PRO1 ,HOM1 etc)

then the "xppro" and "xphome" folders too in the root of the cd

put all the required CD idents for pro in xppro folder and for home in xphome folder

it works nicely :thumbup

i don't know how CDSHELL works :unsure:

and may due to it ? :unsure:

however try again............