Uninstalling Services

ChunkDog

The command line utility is called SC.EXE, most likely you will need the first three only of the following options.

sc stop	(Sends a STOP request to a service.)
sc start (Starts a service.)
sc config (Changes the configuration of a service.)
sc delete (Deletes a service (from the registry).)

There are more, type sc /? at the command prompt for a list of options.

@Jeremy, please don't hijack a thread with your blatant advertising.

nLite is a GUI tool used in the creation of a source for OS installation purposes. It is not a command line utility for uninstallation of services and has also already been mentioned in this thread.

The answer I gave is correct and fits perfectly into the requested criteria, as a credible alternative, tguy has suggested another.

I think what Jeremy was trying to say that besides other tools, nLite does removal of services as well. I donnt know if he was trying to hijack anything Yzowl.

Thanks for the heads up on those tools btw for removing services.

Yzowl, calm down and take it easy. I'd prefer to come to the forums each day without having to fend off people left, right and centre. "Uninstalling Services" is something nLite does but goes a step forward with since it removes them from the source itself. You do not need to tell me what nLite is, ok? I joined this forum under the nLite section on June 24th of last year, I know exactly what nLite does. I was expressing my interest in nLite to let the topic creator know that nLite is quite a big thing around these forums and allows to do, very efficiently, what the topic creator was asking about.

Thanx for all your help guys. I know you can uninstall services through Add/Remove Programs, and Add/Remove Windows Components, but it's sometimes hard to find the service you want to uninstall. I also noticed that some XP machines, only seen it on XP Home, dont have the "sc" command.

Thanx Again!

there are 3 easy ways to delete a service

1-search the web for service manager (it's a free one) program. The name speaks for itself.Therefore, i don't need to tell you what it is.

2- Hijackthis program will also remove service

3-Are you familiar with programming.? WMI scripting will help you solve this problem nicely. Gotta love Win32_Service from WMI. If you know VBScript at least, you don't have any problem learning WMI at all.

with WMI, you can practically change everything in windows