Firewall For Win9x/me

Tihiy

Ok, i'm gonna to write Security Center analog for Win9x (please do not ask why) and I need some information about most popular firewalls.

- Which firewall are you using? (name, vendor, version)

- main executable filename (in which directory by default?)

- main "service" executable filename (if exists)

- does it add control panel element and if adds, try to find which .cpl does this

This information is important for me. If you can find some similar info about antivirus/anti-trojan programs, I'll be very grateful.

Tihiy, I use ZoneAlarmFree,ver5.5.062, exe=zonealarm_exe, setup adds Reg keys:

HKLM-software-microsoft-windows-currentversion-run-zone labs client "E:\2 Security\ZoneAlarm\zlclient_exe"

MScofig startup tab:

Zone Labs Client E:\2 Security\ZoneAlarm\zlclient_exe

True Vector C:\Windows\System\Zonelabs\VSmon_exe-service

is this the info you need?

Tihiy, I use ZoneAlarmFree,ver5.5.062, exe=zonealarm_exe, setup adds Reg keys:

HKLM-software-microsoft-windows-currentversion-run-zone labs client  "E:\2 Security\ZoneAlarm\zlclient_exe"

MScofig startup tab:

Zone Labs Client  E:\2 Security\ZoneAlarm\zlclient_exe

True Vector C:\Windows\System\Zonelabs\VSmon_exe-service

is this the info you need?

Yes. Thanks. Does it add icon into Control Panel? Or maybe some shortcut (in start menu) calls exe with some parameters?

Tihiy, no control panel, start menu shortcut target="E:\2 Secuity\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe" Window can be: normal,min,max. No other parameters shown. Do you want me to get same info for antivirus[AVG-7]?

PS:Zone Lab has folders in both HKCU & HKLM- software, do you need anything out of them?

• 2 weeks later...
i never used firewalls for win9x as hardly any bad ppl attacked it,it's the newer oses that need a firewall(i never run one myself)

Are you joking ? Zone Alarm has logged nearly 28.000 (twenty-eight thousands) intrusion attempts on my Windows Me box in just one week.

ALWAYS USE A FIREWALL!!! Zombies are out to take control of your machine.

I use:

-Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5

-NOD32 2.12.2 (Resident)

-kavperspro 4.5.0.94 (Scanner + mail plugin)

-SpywareBlaster

-SpyBot s&D

And Avoid M$ software, as it gets targeted the most!!

C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\PERSFW.EXE (Default)

X:\XXX\XXX\XXX\XXX\PERSFW.EXE(Mine)

NO service it seems!

NO control panel element!

"Security Center analog for Win9x" I doubt it Tihiy! But here is the NFO!!! ;-)

I've used both ZoneAlarm and Sygate on my Win98se machine and they work well. I have DSL router now and have been using the hardware firewall included with that (the less software running in the background the better!). If you have a PC with a broadband connection without using a firewall you're being very foolish and careless. Even with dialup it's not a bad idea. I even used them on my Linux boxes prior to the broadband router.

i never used firewalls for win9x as hardly any bad ppl attacked it,it's the newer oses that need a firewall(i never run one myself)

:wacko: Like eidenk said i hope you are joking. A Windows 9x box should never be connected to the internet(it cannot be made secure) & when people don't use a firewall hackers spot the machine quickly & add it to their growing zombie network to send out spam & to conduct future worm attacks(like MS Blaster). soldier1st wake up!.

I never used a firewall neither, while I agree that with an Adslconnection that may become necessary since it's not possible to follow visualy the transfer of datas.

I watch all the time the two little computers on the taskbar. It happened one or twice that I switched off because of suspected behavior (and indeed I had Gain being installed behind my back).

The second reason to have firewal is when your PC is connected to the internet while you are not behind the screen. (I always switch off the connection when I'm FFMC even if it's just to go to the toilet).

But I do use some anti-spyware and run once in a while updated AntiVir.