Vetrilo And Steam?

Mikep7779

Yea.. Silver is partially correct in regards to steam. There isnt a way to silently install it, but all you really need to do is copy most of the files. I would discourage using Steams "backup" function... as all it really does is combine all your *.tcf files into one file.. or several depending on how you configure it.

The huge downside to this is that it does absolutely no compression whatsoever... so youre better off rar'ing these files up... or what I do is copy these files to a seperate drive and copy them back after re-install, since theyre so big.

if you want a new steam install, the switch is /S and then you use taskkill to kill it

and iirc, ventrilo is an msi so /qn or /qb will work

But thats not going to install any games or configs... only the steam portion... so youre still going to need to wait 6 hours to get all of your games after the fact.. unless you back up the files I mentioned.

if you want a new steam install, the switch is /S and then you use taskkill to kill it

and iirc, ventrilo is an msi so /qn or /qb will work

But thats not going to install any games or configs... only the steam portion... so youre still going to need to wait 6 hours to get all of your games after the fact.. unless you back up the files I mentioned.

Thats all i need, then ill make a SFX with the gfc's, should i use 7zip or winrar?

I sfx everything except for whats in the SteamApps folder.

Then I place all of my SteamApps\*.gcf files, my config.cfg files and my HL2 SAVE folder on one of my storage drives. I really dont bother rar'ing / 7zip'ing up these files, as I have a ton of space available on this drive and it would just take longer to extract them during the install/copy.

Before I reformat, I always make sure to copy the updated gfc files and my config/save files over to where I store these.. so that theyre up to date. Then as part of my RunOnceEx, I actually copy these files (as well as some other save game files and config files from other games) back to their original location; which is after I have extracted my Steam SFX to its install location.

In addition to this, I also exported my reg settings from

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Valve

before I reformat, then import these settings as part of my RunOnceEx.

Hope this makes sense...

Again.. theres absolutely no need to "install" it.. you just can copy the files I mentioned above. For example.. I have mine installed to "C:\Entertainment\Steam". Just make sure you grab the reg settings of an already installed version before you reformat, then apply them after you copy the necessary files into place.

• 1 month later...
is there a way to silently have it install to a particular directory?

if not will installrite work with steam?

Yea there is.

steaminstall.exe /S /D=C:\GamesFiles\Steam

Doesnt work

I ran Steam installer on this PC and came up with the path I already use, got me thinking

SteamInstall.bat

REM cmdow @ /HID
REM @echo off

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:

SET SteamRegKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam

REG ADD %SteamRegKey% /V InstallPath /D "C:\Games Files\Steam" /f
REG ADD %SteamRegKey% /V Rate /D "10000" /f

%CDROM%\APPS\Steam\SteamInstall.exe /S

Exit