Mce On One Cd

I managed to make 1 DVD out of 2 MCE 2005 cd's by editing the "txtsetup.sif" file. I change both cdname and cdtag to be on the safe side. Works perfectly. Thanks guys. My new "txtsetup.sif" looks like this:

[sourceDisksNames.x86]

1 = %cdname%,%cdtagfilei%,,\i386

2 = "%cdname%","%cdtagfilei%",,\cmpnents\tabletpc\i386

3 = "%cdname%","%cdtagfilei%",,\cmpnents\mediactr\i386

4 = "%cdname%","%cdtagfilei%",,\cmpnents\netfx\i386

100 = %spcdname%,%spcdtagfilei%,,\i386,1

One thing that might be important to other people - it was for me:

After making an nlite install from my 2 MCE cds (having first copied contents together and edited the setup text as previously explained) I ended up with a plain XP cd. This was not because of the key but because somehow the winnt.sif file got modified and 2 lines removed:

in the [components] section

medctr = on

netfx = on

without these 2 lines it wont install the MCE part and you'll just have XP. I presume it was the hotfixes or some other option I selected in nlite that has removed these.

Here is what I did to get the files on 1 CD: From CD1 I copied all the files in the root of the CD and the i386 directory (and all subfolders). From CD2 I copied everything except the tabletpc directory. I than created a file named win51ip2 on the root of the cd using win51ip as a template. to tell the intaller that the CD2 files were on the same CD.

I used this method because my CD can be used to repair a 2 CD installation and I can still use the 2 CD set if I need to repair my installation.

ok im new here and was reading ur post and its the closest i can get of what i trried and failed..... so here it goes...

1: if i put mce2004 cd 1 and start installing, when it asks for cd2 and i put cd 2 of mce2005 will it install mce2005 application?

2: this is intersting..... i have 1 cd of xp pro sp2 oem version and i have mce2004 2 cd aswell oem both non pirated. is there any way of using cdkey of anyof my xp pro oem or mce2004 in mce2005 , even after installation. i.e changing cdkey later for activation.

what i want is use my oem cdkeys so i cant activate mce2005 online.

actually nothing need to be edited :-)

installtion assumes current root of install media contain all the files..

installation first searches the MCE files inth current root , the root of the CD1 for the cmpnents\medctr folder and remaining files

if it doesnt find it ,consult the txtsetup.sif to relocate it and asks for CD2 prompt

***** THIS OCCUR ONLY WHEN MCE CD KEY IS DETECTED *****

otherwise continue to install XP pro EVEN if

netfx=on

freestyle=on

bcoz

i used to copy the cd 2 to cd1 and as single root nLite it put winnt.sif with mce key go unattended

activation ; its done later, 60 day remaing

PS :: this is same applicable to TPCE also

• 3 weeks later...

Hello friends,many are saying that mce disk1 and xpprowith sp2 disks are the same but some how few files are different , also the cd key entered is not only responcible for installing mce2005 bcoz few files that recognize that the cdkey is true or false.

My problem is that my mce2005 disk1 completely get corrupted & installation from it not runs,so i made image of that cd with some errors but the cd get on image & i also burned it on a rewritable disk(to avoid losses of disks)so that cd also copied on hd but during installation it says some files (for ex ntfs.sys,ks.inf etc... are corrupted sete up will not continue).

I read some posts here & than integrate SP2 files in mce2005 disk1 so it replaced bad or corrupted files,so i again get new cd & installs mcedisk1 with its cdkey the installation also requiers cd2 of mce and also prompt for insert disk2 of sp2 to copy some files.Allready sp2 is integrated it also reqi. disk2 of mce but its not installing mce,though the disk of original mce2005 disk 1 having sp1 in it and the cd which i created having sp2 I dont understand whats worng wiith my installation???????

Also i read about unattended installation of xp,but my xppro+sp2 cd dont having winnt.sif file nor my mce having it,so in xppro+sp2 i made winnt.sif from unattended.txt as .sif(not .sif.txt) and put it in i386 folder & burned cd but during installation it says winnt.sif is not a valid file.How can i overcome this problem?Pl reply

• 5 months later...
I managed to make 1 DVD out of 2 MCE 2005 cd's by editing the "txtsetup.sif" file. I change both cdname and cdtag to be on the safe side. Works perfectly. Thanks guys. My new "txtsetup.sif" looks like this:

[sourceDisksNames.x86]

1 = %cdname%,%cdtagfilei%,,\i386

2 = "%cdname%","%cdtagfilei%",,\cmpnents\tabletpc\i386

3 = "%cdname%","%cdtagfilei%",,\cmpnents\mediactr\i386

4 = "%cdname%","%cdtagfilei%",,\cmpnents\netfx\i386

100 = %spcdname%,%spcdtagfilei%,,\i386,1

If I am doing a Winnt32 based install (i.e. through WinPE or BartPE) do i also need to edit any specific entries in the dosnet.inf?