Mce On One Cd

I know that this has been talked about already but I can't seem to find the postings. I have Windows XP Media Center Edition on two cds. When I go to install them it doesn't ask me for the second cd. So presumably I have the wrong cd key...But I purchased this version. So what I am curious about is integrating the MediaCTR.cab file into a new copy of my windows xp cd. Since I can't seem to find the posting could someone either post a link to it or help me out a little?

Thanks

if you have two cds then its windows media center 2005 not 2004. you can add the second cd to the first cd by editing the txtsetup.sif file removing the enterys that say %cd2name% chnage to %cdname% then copy the files and folders to the root directory of the windows cd and it will not ask for the second cd anymore.

if you have two cds then its windows media center 2005 not 2004. you can add the second cd to the first cd by editing the txtsetup.sif file removing the enterys that say %cd2name% chnage to %cdname% then copy the files and folders to the root directory of the windows cd and it will not ask for the second cd anymore.

Thanks a lot! Needed this....

Copy the first CD to the HD, and then copy the second CD to the same directory.  It will be larger than 700 megabytes, so you must put it on a DVD. If you do not have a DVD burner, you are out of luck.

Exactly! :)

The ISO is about 835 MB and you just have to burn it to a 99 min CD. That's all. (The way I did it).

• 2 weeks later...
Copy the first CD to the HD, and then copy the second CD to the same directory.  It will be larger than 700 megabytes, so you must put it on a DVD. If you do not have a DVD burner, you are out of luck.

Exactly! :)

The ISO is about 835 MB and you just have to burn it to a 99 min CD. That's all. (The way I did it).

99min cd? WTF.. i didnt think they exist at all. do the major retails have them like bestbuy or compusa

Actually, you could have it all on one normal CD itself. Just delete the junk from the resulting combined set of files:

1. Delete the "Support" and "Valueadd" folders from CD1 to save about 20 MB.

2. Delete the "dotnetfx" folder from CD1 (this one is to be done carefully, I'm not sure if removing .NET framework will still let it work fine) to cut out 40 MB of junk.

3. Delete these folders inside I386 on CD1 - "LANG", "WIN9XMIG", "WIN9XUPG", and "WINNTUPG". Now another 138 MB is chopped off safely (with the limitation that now you can only directly boot from the CD and clean-install, with no option to upgrade an existing Windows OS - which should be fine since the clean-install method is the best method anyway).

4. Delete these folders inside CMPNENTS from CD2 - "NETFX" and "TABLETPC". This should chop off another 98 MB from CD2.

Now see the total size of your MCE 2005 CD (combining both CD1 and CD2) :D

Its just 546 MB now.

Happy?

No need for DVD-writer now, and no need of 99-minute CDs.

No, they can just as well read it I guess.

If they miss it, then hard luck! ;)

Oh, and please don't credit me for above post - I'm just telling the normal slimming as in the uA XP discs with a bit of difference for MCE!

mce 05 depends on the cd key right?

Yes - but that is only when you use the MCE disc.

When installing from CD1, if you give a MCE key, then you get MCE installed, and if you give an XP Pro retail key, then you get it installed without the MCE extensions.

Using your vlk XP gives you XP pro vlk alone - no way of getting MCE with it.